Return to Articles  

Re: I was always taught...

January 27 2008 at 1:30 AM
No score for this post
  (Login sbonner)
KenpoNet Moderators
from IP address 71.10.167.233

Response to I was always taught...

"That said, I think that too much focus gets put on profanity, when, if you know your way around the language, you can be malicious and hurtful just the same without it. If it's the high road we wish to travel, it's the intent behind our words that needs to be considered before we post."

I agree -- true.

That being said, I've never understood the problem with profanity. I don't understand why people don't like it, and I don't understand why people can't live without it. I like cursing, really, and do it when I can. But, I don't do it in the grocery store (not loud, anyway) because my wife has used reason to make me realize that the grocery store is not the place to be cursing. On forums that allow cursing, I'll do it if the urge moves me, and on forums where cursing isn't right, I don't (mostly -- what, I have to be perfect?)

But, maybe it's not a big deal to others, either. I've seen individual posters get upset at cursing, and I've seen posters that curse get well-deserved warnings when cursing was not welcome, but I haven't actually seen anyone banned for cursing. I've seen people banned for petty, destructive, and asinine behavior, (even being banned because the person wanted to be banned and did what they could to achieve it, god knows why) but not cursing, per se. It just doesn't rise to the level of being important -- I seriously doubt that the founding fathers, when they created the first amendment, had petty little curse words in mind, and the courts haven't placed the many words for poo in the high, exalted status of protected speech, as far as I know.

It seems to me that there are far worse offenses. Like, the ones that actually cause damage to individuals or their reputations ((but what if they deserve it? I don't know. I'm still divided on that one.)). Or, when someone tries to build themself up by talking smack about everyone but themself, or play dirty politics (the former is the purest form of the latter). Cursing seems so small comparatively. We need some perspective.

Peace,
Scott

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.