Return to Articles  

That's the best part

June 16 2008 at 6:57 PM
No score for this post

(Login millhouse23)
from IP address 209.158.23.57

Response to Re: If only that were true

Craig,

Yeah, I was thinking of Chief Roman noodle when I typed that up. It's the first thing that popped into my head.

Anyway, as for Mr. Pick's interviews, he is an articulate man with an immaculate way with words. He is the most intriguing master I have ever been on the floor with and taken classes under. His intellect goes well beyond the norm, in my opinion. He teaches that way. If you have never been on the floor with him and you went to a seminar to take a class under him, you would listen to his way of speaking and teaching. He is a teacher of those who want to excel in knowledge and war. He does not teach like you would teach a beginner, but yet, anybody can learn from his seminars. If you are a beginner, you would learn some amazing things about your basics regardless of whether or not a few his words were not in your vocabulary.

The first time I took a lesson under him, he blew me away. He went into a lesson on physics and began talking about his teachings of 12 point, fortified engagement, inertia, the eight stages of engagement (as taught in the UKF), and much more. Admittedly, some things went over my head, but I actually got the lessons in physics and from that day forward I looked at my Kenpo from a power and mass based perspective vs a speed based mindset. I used to be speed oriented where my limbs would be disassociated from my core so I lacked power potential that I had all along if I would use my body as one unit and use the principles of physics vs my upper body doing most of the work. Don't get me wrong, my primary instructor, Mr. Kelley, has taken me further than anyone in the Kenpo world, but Mr. Pick has truly changed my Kenpo as well.

Since my first seminar with him I have had numerous more and will continue to take as many per year as possible as long as God blesses us with Mr. Pick's uniqueness on this earth. I have told people that if they don't get the lessons in physics, they need to study it. Honestly, if you understand physics, listening to Mr. Pick is much easier and you will get it. When he gives answers like those he gives in my interviews it forces you to think. That, in my opinion, is what Kenpo is about. It is a thinking person's art based on science. It forces you to go beyond yourself and find something you never thought existed. It broaden's your intelligence. I for one have always believed to excel in something you must be around those who excel. To be successful you must be around those who are successful. In this case, to get Mr. Pick and his teachings, you need to be around him, which is the path I have chosen to follow thanks to my great instructor Mr. Kelley.

Sorry for the long post.

Michael Miller
CKF Public Relations Administrator

This message has been edited by millhouse23 from IP address 209.158.23.57 on Jun 16, 2008 7:00 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.