The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Hello again

October 9 2008 at 1:20 PM
No score for this post

Michael Miller  (Login millhouse23)
from IP address 71.162.33.199

Response to Re: My response

"I am not trying to be argumentative and do appreciate you putting vids up for us to share and discuss. From what I can see, I can only complement you on your level of skill and willingness to share openly."

I understand you are not being argumentative. We are having a civil discussion. That is what this forum is ("should") be about. Thank-you for your compliments.

"Where we do disagree, is in basic approach to dealing with what you call enemy (what I call opponent) and what you call combat (and what I’d call altercation.) The words are there, and illustrate a military vs civilian standpoint. I am not in the military, but do train for self-preservation (health and self-defense)."

An opponent is what you find in the ring. On the streets and in war you have an enemy. If you prefer not to use enemy for street then attacker would work just fine. If somebody is trying to rape your mother, wife or daughter I don't think you will view him as an opponent. Just trying to put some content to reality. By the way, I am not in the military either.

"Therefore, I do not go out each day on the offensive expecting combat, but rather go about my business as a husband, father, and member of the workforce with a calm awareness to be sensitive to the unlikely situation where my training would need to be used."

I am in total agreement here. I certainly don't go out looking for combat. I hate fighting. I am just prepared for it. I am talking about when the time comes where you need to act. You can do it defensively or offensively. Mindset plays an important role.

"As to the specific technique, Snapping Twig, regardless of ideal being pushed on direct center or skewed to the left, keeping the hips square (characteristic of a forward bow, horse, close kneel, or modifications thereof) will widen your ‘center’ while turning (characteristic of neutral, side horse, wide kneel, or even a cat stance) will concealing it."

I agree.

"Widening your center will allow a sustained push from your opponent, which you can either deal with by (a) bracing (force vs force), or (b) speed (hit ‘em before they can push you down)… both of these options are based on the assumption that you are either stronger and/or faster than your opponent. My guess is that sometimes you will, some times not."

Using the laws of physics beginning with inertia will aid in my success. There are many options, but thinking about them in a street altercation will get you hurt. That's why you drive through him and stop his attack and it won't matter what he does.

"Therefore, I contend that your approach is more of a ‘gamble’, your fortified stance and bracing is predicated on strength, while the ability to move first (and continue to move first) is based on speed. Both strength and speed are relative to your opponent."

I disagree that my approach is more of a gamble. If you don't have a bracing angle you are in trouble. A neutral bow in this situation would not provide the brace that a forward position does

"So, I raise the complete opposite of your conclusion to the Neutral bow. Neutrality does mean balance, but it also means ‘Neutralizing’. By utilizing the Neutral stance, and turning to hide your center, it gives the opponent nothing to push on… he’s now on an off-angle giving you the freedom to continue from a position of advantage, which less dependant on comparative strength and comparative speed."

He still has your right lapel to continue to push on regardless of how you step back (in snapping twig). Keep in mind that you pin his hand. That does not mean that he couldn't continue his motion. Obviously we are talking about "What if."

"I tend to look at these things from a point of balance, yin & yang, where simply retreating is too yin (fear), but holding no consideration for the skill, strength, and speed of your opponent/enemy is too yang (or arrogance)… there lies truth in the balance: confidence."

I can understand your point here as related to yin and yang. It's not that I don't hold consideration for skill, strength, speed, or whatever of my enemy. I am just saying that it doesn't matter. I need to attack the attack anyway. Remember what Mr. Parker said: "He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

If you are worried about your enemy on the streets, you will be defeated. I can't sit there as I am being attacked and say, "I wonder if he knows anything?" Or, "I wonder how strong he is compared to me?" You can't do that. You have to stop the attacker--period.

Yours,

Michael Miller, CKF

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.