The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Re:

December 3 2008 at 3:06 PM
No score for this post
Dan Puleo  (Login DanPuleo)
from IP address 65.2.89.16

Response to Semantics in Obscure Wing

"If the attacker is that close and the grab is stationary, it does make more sense to step to 3 and use a back elbow, although you still don't use progressive directional harmony of motion, which I'd prefer to do."

I totally see the logic in what is troubling you here with regard to power principles and directional harmony. I'm curious, though, how you do the back elbow in Escape from Death. In the way I was taught, it is essentially the same - move the mass on the 3:00/9:00; deliver the elbow to 6:00 - only Escape uses the left arm. I'm wondering if you have a variation on that as well, or if the same lack of directional harmony just hadn't grabbed your attention. I look at the step as the means of acquiring the attacker's centerline - putting my weapon directly in line with his solar plexus. Hence, I try to put my right foot right between his legs since everything I want to hit is directly above that point. If I have to step back a little to be in the proper range for penetration, so be it.

One point that I don't believe has been mentioned yet is that, in the execution of Obscure Wing that I learned, as I pin with my left hand, I also load my right arm straight out in front of me for travel on the elbow, palm down for torque. This is similar to shooting the left arm out in Locked Wing. (That move in LW serves the dual purpose of freeing your arm from their grip, but you get the visual.) I then blast the elbow as I land in my stance. So...the power for the elbow, in effect, comes from full range of motion.

Hope that was of use.

Dan Puleo

This message has been edited by DanPuleo from IP address 65.2.89.16 on Dec 3, 2008 3:33 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.