The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Re: Nicely done

January 2 2009 at 7:32 PM
No score for this post
Jason  (Login JasonRL)
from IP address 98.165.55.217

Response to Nicely done

My critique would be pretty similar. I trained at a Krav school for about a month. My brother and I both jokingly referred to it as "sloppy Kenpo" although that is obviously over simplified.

In defense of the system, it helps to understand their mindset. The instructor at the school I went to was pretty open to conversation. I pointed out some of the areas where their mechanics were a little sloppy. His response "you misunderstand the purpose and origin of the system". Fair enough

His point was basically this; The system is taught to military personnel who have little time to learn a complex system. Refined mechanics take a lot of time to internalize, and turn into nueromuscular memory. We want simple effective techniques that rely only on gross motor skills, no fine motor skills.

Anyways, you nailed the things that were wrong with it. Here are a couple of the things I liked;

The emphasis was on spontaneous response and speed of action. They drilled unknown attacks at unknown times and trained their students to react with absolute aggression. This was done in every class, at full speed (they make heavy use of gear to allow for this level of aggression and spontaneity).

Knife and Gun disarms. I have seen some knife and gun disarms in some Kenpo schools that look good in theory, but show a genuine lack of understand about the basic mechanics and functionality of a knife and gun. Disarms probably ought not to be developed/taught by people who haven't spent much time shooting etc. Krav disarms reflected some real knowledge regarding both ends of each weapon.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.