The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Re: What is "defensive" vs. "offensive" kenpo?

February 10 2009 at 7:21 PM
No score for this post

(Login kenpoangel)
from IP address 71.95.220.110

Response to What is "defensive" vs. "offensive" kenpo?

<< "The best Defense is a good Offense" can sometimes be reinterpreted "The best defense is a homocidal offense", at which point much off the stuff we do in the system cann start making applicable sense. Or does training by the book necessitate waiting for the guy to launch a specific attack? >>

Well to hear Clyde or Will tell it (and since Larry taught them, umm gonna assume ultimately Larry as well) anything you "throw" at your opponent is a predetermined offensive move to get them to react the way you want them to TO defend. I'm sure they have a purtier way of sayin it more clearly but that's what my interpretation of what they said.

Even a faint move should be thrown with enough intent to draw them to flinch/move/react otherwise, wth's the point? Don't throw it and don't throw it if you have NO idea how he/she MAY react. If you want them to move to the right throw the attack where they would move to the right and then be sure you know what you're going to do when they do.

Will's always at least 2-3 moves ahead of anyone he's in front of. Frustrating at best but I'm starting to understand it more clearly. Not that I'm to the point where I can get HIM to do what I want yet, but I can at least learn through him (ok...from the ground...lol) and then try it on others until I can get it down to the science he has.

Uh yea. I'll keep tellin myself that one.

Basically you can't have a good defense if your offense sucks. You'll just end up eating something and you were better off not fighting to begin with if you have no strategy on how you plan to get this person to move to YOUR advantage...not theirs.

Back to the mats,

Angela

This message has been edited by kenpoangel from IP address 71.95.220.110 on Feb 10, 2009 7:23 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.