The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

OK continuing...

March 11 2009 at 3:42 PM
No score for this post

David  (Login kenpo58)
from IP address 98.114.10.28

Response to 2nd Set - Wednesday

3. Well I have never really quit. I have stopped working out and training or seeing my instructor for various periods of time. Though I was not working out or taking instruction from my teacher I was always maturing and changing in my development. I will say that I have read about how people develop and learn in sports and there is advantage to layoff time and running motion in the mind without the physical vehicle being so active. I returned to training when I felt it was time to. That is the only way I can describe it. I mean when I naturally felt it was time to get more. Now for me my home base is Dennis Nackord and I come home when I am ready and he is always ready to graciously receive me with words unspoken.

Oh well as far as women in class. I really do not think I thought about it. I mean over the years I suppose there were a couple of girls that I was attracted to and became interested in. That may have made me lose focus a bit when I was smitten with them. But outside of that I really saw no big issue. I mean were my hormones raging from their bodies on the studio floor? Not at all. I mean one black belt woman that I started as a kid basically with had always treated me bad finding fault in every facet of my life but hey I can't help it if she probably was in love with me deep down. No I am kidding. But come to think of it I always did want to shut her the hell up but did not because I did not want to provoke her husband. So I guess in that sense her gender was a factor. If she was a man I would have spoken my mind in an acute fashion. Or if she was single.

4. My image with friends and family? Well I am sure things have changed but to honestly separate out how karate influenced it would be impossible. Karate was part of life and I have no idea what the overall impact was. As far as being "tough" or though of as talented. Well I have to say that I have evolved in that. I have made mistakes in that regard. I mean letting myself think I am too important. I have said some pretty arrogant things regarding my perceived ability. I mean back in the day. But I think that is an evolutionary process. I mean at least it was in me. I would say that there are things I have done and said many years ago that I would never ever do or say now. You grow. I would say that historically when I have someone to beat the crap out of me I am more humble and when I only have people that are afraid of me I am less humble. I think that my walking of a quiet path was more controlled when I was around my teacher and me loosing that quietness fell apart as I was around other people that I had less respect for meaning I was not afraid of their ability. But now I thing that has changed. I have realized some things. I think I am a good example of good motion and maturity in some ways but I am not so tough. I mean I am older now. Other people are faster and stronger. I don't work out like they do. I am slower. If I have something to offer it is that of being a coach maybe. I can accept the reality that I really would be hurt most likely in a critical situation. But my motion is mature I think. I think more so I have had to accept the reality that I am not all so tough anymore. But I think I have the respect of those people that are younger that I have helped or taught. A number of years ago I briefly sparred a younger guy who is just the finest example of what our school can produce. I taught him how to punch. I used to pound on him. We had not seen each other for many years. As we lined up I saw concern in his eyes like he was taking me seriously. I knew he had surpassed me and was younger. We engaged and he hit me with the very move in a most excellent manner that I had given him years ago. That made me very very proud. I never told him.

Oh well off to Ridley Creek Park for my walk.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Martial ArtsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2015 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.