The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

As a rebuttal,

April 2 2009 at 11:53 AM
No score for this post
Clark  (Login kenpoborg2)
from IP address 75.4.196.219

Response to makes some sense

". but kicking to the head.. being able to "correctly" kick high, would help in strengthening and conditioning, and thus making your lower kicks better, and improving your balance."

Eye to eye level. Kicking to the head is a race to the finish line and you most likely will be looking at the target. I am not sure that that kind of focus would make my low kicks better. A low kick benefits from (in some situations) a deceptive movement or by being 'below the opponent's radar', or from the obscure.

Kicking low does not include looking at the target, especially in Kenpo where sometimes we knee kick THEN extend the foot for a second attack. These are my views as this thread expands, not a condemnation of kicking high. As martin said, it is fun to reach that target, with control, in the studio (garage, club, tournament).

I think that the higher a kick is, that there will be a lessening of variables that are possible for the kicker. Unskilled opponent's will take that kick and have few if any ways to avoid being kicked in the head, but if your timing is off due to the environment, clothing, shoes, posture and your awareness of the p[lace you at in, these things lead to low kicks first, the head kicks that are also low. Stomps are great also, you get to use the kick motion but the ground backs up your attack. Squish.

Clark

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.