The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Clutching Feathers curve ball ;)

April 9 2009 at 11:38 PM
No score for this post
Brye Cooper  (Login BC07)
from IP address 98.154.20.75

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Just finished working with a student on Clutching Feathers. As he is very familiar with the tech I decided to through him a curve ball and apply it with a proper attack... ooops! Essentially, I grabbed his hair and wrenched his head forward and down (with control of coarse), which is the only way I have ever experienced having my hair pulled and the only way I have ever witnessed it when done in a real scenario.

It is the sole instinctive reason opponents grab your hair in real combat, they instinctively know that pulling your head down and forward cancels your height and depth zones and nullifies the effectiveness of your width zones, as you either swing wildly or pre-occupy your hands and arms trying to free yourself or involuntarily post if it gets to that point, and believe me it gets to that point super fast.

It stand to reason then that the priority is to regain control of your dimensional zones and platform, an immediate by product of which is reduction of stress level thus taking the pressure of the panic button.

For those of you who practice this way I am going to give you my suggestion as to how I train and explain in this situation.

In such a circumstance the attacker pulling your head down and toward him will generally cause your right foot to step forward if he is pulling with his left hand, in a natural attempt to regain your platform stability. It is here that we take advantage of the disadvantage.

As your right foot plants immediately step with your left foot to 4 oclock as you counter grab with your left hand pressing and pinning his right hand to your head. As you are stepping allow your height to drop into the twist stance by bending the knees accordingly, relieving the downward pressure being exerted on your height zone. As you step you will rotate your body toward ten oclock in a directionally harmonious fashion, this will align your dimensional zones and place you in a temporary zone of sanctuary, it will also momentarily cancel your opponents dimensional zone advantage, allowing you to strike his left ribcage without fear of being tagged with his right punch.

IMPORTANT The left foot placement should not be behind your right foot, if it is you will misalign and destabilize yourself, and you will not unwind into a right neutral bow.

For those of you familiar with the dimensional zones it will be found if applied properly utilizing the dimensional concept, you are also able to wrench his right arm through the shoulder, this causes his left side to compress putting his weight over his left foot. The tension created will and restrict the ability of your opponents rib cage to flex and absorb the blow thus magnifying the force of your strike.

With the left arm locked up through the shoulder you also increases the chance of dislocation as you apply a frictional pull with your right extended block to clear his left arm, whilst simultaneously striking his left mandible with your heel palm.

You will find when you dummy for this that the head has been severely restricted in its ability to move away from the force impact, as the your left side neck muscles are also constricted as your head adjusts to follow the initial foot maneuver. I say when you dummy for the tech, as it is important to feel the effect on the body in order to repeat it on another.

Have fun and let me know how it works for you.

Best in Kenpo
Brye Cooper
UKF

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Interesting initial attack - Corey_Kotyluk on Apr 10, 2009, 1:31 AM
    • Yes - Brye Cooper on Apr 10, 2009, 3:56 AM

• Hmmm - Carl on Apr 10, 2009, 9:12 AM
  •  
  • Or - J.M. on Apr 10, 2009, 11:03 AM
  •  
  • Nevermind... - Dan Puleo on Apr 10, 2009, 8:24 PM
  •  
  • I believe - Clyde T. O'Briant on Apr 10, 2009, 9:48 PM
  •  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.