The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Foot placement and movement in a forward bow...

May 11 2009 at 5:55 PM
No score for this post
  (Login DrDaveDC)
from IP address 71.134.253.134

I get these occasional hairs up my...well, in places one ought not to want stray hairs to go. Recently, been noticing the lack of proper lead foot placement in forward bows, and in the excessive movement of the lead heel when folks transition to one from an NB.

Now. IIRC, the lead foot is > 45-degree internal rotation (heel kicked out) while in an NB. And, when transitioning to a FB, doesn't move. Stays nailed to the floor. The rear foot pivots, but the lead foot does not.

Now, I'll admit to being lazy and a bit of a wuss when it comes to monitoring my own. I've blown out so many of the ligaments in my ankles, that maintaining proper position causes some system-wide distress. So I let it loft widely. BUT!!! I know better, and remind myself when demoing for the outside world, competing, testing, whatever, to keep it torqued tight, and frozen in place, saving the lazy feet for prolonged training sessions so I can walk the next day. (not talking regular training soreness here, folks...talking, like, completely blown deltoid ligaments, so I sound like a popcorn machine when I walk, and can do stupid human tricks with my ankle ranges of motion).

So...to the point: Since we assert that stances and footwork are the foundation of kenpo, and that having them dialed in drives the performance of the rest of the body, why don't we see more good stances? More good basic foot maneuvers, in which stance integrity is maintained?

And...am I wrong about the lead foot in the forward bow? Are the toes of the lead foot supposed to face forward towards 12:00? I still reference SoCK, which shows a more exaggerated lead foot placement. Any other sources that suggest lazy-foot is OK, that I should reference them instead?

D.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.