The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Unveiled

May 11 2009 at 10:32 PM
No score for this post
  (Login kenpotom)
from IP address 207.200.116.6

Response to 50 Point Question

The photo, circa early to mid 1963, is of Jimmy Doughtery (affectionately and respectfully known as "Little Jimmy"), who was a fixture at the Pasadena school in the early 1960s and, according to Chuck Sullivan, the youngest student to receive a brown belt from Mr. Parker. When I first met Jimmy, I was immediately impressed with his talent and eventually spent considerable time with him, as we were about the same age (I was a two or three tip white belt when I met him). As time passed, we became regulars on Mr. Parker's demo team, often performing the Black Belt Set together. To my knowledge Jim Doughtery never did receieve his black belt. As I recall, he left the Pasadena area some time in 1964 and didn't compete in the first Internationals. The photo was taken at one of Chuck and Flo Sullivan's parties, which were the hub of Kenpo's social gatherings in the early years.

Salute

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.