The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Base first

October 27 2009 at 10:12 AM
No score for this post
S. LaBounty  (Login LaBounty)
from IP address 66.82.9.92

Response to The Basics

Mr. Ibrahim: For me the first rule of response to any predatory attack, is to base first. The basics then give us the ability to always find our source of balance and power during the recovery and thereby a response to a physical attack. The fact is that any sort of an attack (moving from the artist viewpoint and taking on the viewpoint of reality), be it using purely hands and feet, knives, sticks, rocks, chair or ultimately firearms, will cause us to revert to our gross motor movements that can begin with good fundamental Kenpo principles and concepts, to flailing wildly to protect ourselves. In either case, the basics will teach us to economize and to respond with a degree of proficiency not usually seen in those who abandon basics in lieu of pretty, performance worthy, multiple attempts to strike. Moreover, your mobility from tried and true basics will improve what you select as your defensive response. Mind you, Kenpo practice is most important and the basics of Kenpo stand for everything I have posited, but I would ask you to remember that the first rule of Kenpo is to "base first" from there all things begin. I notice a previous post of an "aha!" moment in your training. Your basics will not give you such a moment per se, but will facilitate such moments as you move through them.
My purpose for training in such a way? Well, its not a job, or a hobby, its a calling... and to that there is no contradiction.... In spirit then...

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.