The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

and again, different

November 19 2010 at 12:59 AM
No score for this post
cplcomo  (Login cplcomo)
from IP address 66.172.99.49

Response to Re: Telegraphing

Chad:_"and chambering a lot of times represents something else besides pulling the hand back to the waist"_

Me: Yes, and for me almost always. I dont use the reverse punch, and hand only goes to waist as an anchor for some specific movement, as in a pull-back capture- done as a grab, not a fist.

Chad:_"In basic form yes, but we don't spend a lot of time doing stuff in the air unless it is a form. We spend a lot of time pushing hands or playing sticking hands and learning how to manipulate principles to our benefit. in American Kenpo we break structure all the time depending on how the fight is going. We would be more apt to call it transition than breaking structure though and there is a lot that takes place internally that I am sure you are aware of."_

Me: Guess we can chalk that one up to the differences in the way systems teach. I am very concerned with achieving and maintaining structure in both kenpo and taiji. For example, in foot maneuvers I never use a cat in transition (AK) or post (taiji) or any C step variant. Heck, I dont even cat with most kicks. Very destructive to your base, as well as a waste of motion. Likewise, upper body structure is kept throughout all movements. Push hands, sticking hands, rolling- many names for the type drill, and many variations to work different concepts, but all depend on your having good, unified structure to be effective.

Im sure you get structural instruction somehow, maybe sort of an OJT type of a deal. But you do seem to have a little different approach to it in your school. Thats OK though, I myself have been told Im different

Dan

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.