Sparring (freestyle) vs. techniquesDecember 6 2010 at 4:35 PM
Score 5.0 (1 person)
Michael Miller (Login millhouse23)
from IP address 18.104.22.168
Something Clark said below sparked my interest. Thank you, Clark.
I would like to know how you Kenpoists view sparring. I've noticed that many tend to try the self-defense tech. during sparring. It seems that Clark is on that line of thinking, but I'm not sure. Nothing against Clark, of course, but that is not the way I think.
Sparring and techniques, in my view, are totally different animals. Also, totally different mindsets. Techniques were created in our system as case studies of motion. Yes, you are learning some ways to protect yourself on the street, but to think that you are going to pull them off in sparring (especially against a good fighter) is crazy.
I come from a boxing background. I love boxing. When I spar, I favor my hands and I keep my hands up, elbows in, chin tucked (not too much, of course)and shoulders relaxed. I use a lot of head movement, body movement and foot movement - as well as feints. I also alter the essence of my movement and use a lot of set ups.
I'm not into the Kenpo sparring. Sorry guys. Since I come from a full contact background, I've found that a lot of the ways Kenpo people are taught sparring (B1a and so on) won't work very well against a skilled full-contact fighter. It will work well in regular martial arts tournaments, but in full-contact (like MMA) it wouldn't do well, in my opinion.
Since Kenpo was designed for street, it's quite logical that it would have some glitches for sport. Wouldn't you agree?
I still feel, however, that if you have strong basics (from constant practice), and great conditioning (along with humility and strong will) you will do well in sport and street.
- nevermind - Anonymous on Dec 6, 2010, 8:15 PM
- Here we go again.. - Lobsang. on Dec 6, 2010, 10:08 PM
- I just gotta, - Clark on Dec 7, 2010, 1:47 AM
- True - Gary A Brewer aka BGile on Dec 7, 2010, 10:47 AM
- Also.. - Lobsang on Dec 7, 2010, 11:05 AM
- Yes, yes, yes - Michael Miller on Dec 7, 2010, 12:01 PM
- Re: Sparring (freestyle) vs. techniques - Amen Rahh on Dec 7, 2010, 8:17 AM
- Understood - Michael Miller on Dec 7, 2010, 12:06 PM
- Well OK.. - Lobsang on Dec 7, 2010, 12:34 PM
- Re: Understood - Amen Rahh on Dec 7, 2010, 10:11 PM
- Slapping - Lobsang on Dec 8, 2010, 12:37 AM
- What? - Michael Miller on Dec 8, 2010, 10:27 AM
- Yes when - Lobsang on Dec 8, 2010, 10:58 AM
- Re: Yes when - Amen Rahh on Dec 9, 2010, 11:05 PM
- Amen.. - Lobsang on Dec 10, 2010, 6:53 PM
- Re: Amen.. - Amen Rahh on Dec 11, 2010, 6:48 AM
- No Amen.. - Lobsang on Dec 11, 2010, 9:23 AM
- Re: No Amen.. - Amen Rahh on Dec 11, 2010, 11:34 AM
- You have accomplished a lot IMHO - Gary A Brewer aka BGile on Dec 11, 2010, 12:18 PM
- Oh God.. - Lobsang on Dec 11, 2010, 1:13 PM
- It's not because you are black, Amen. - Dave Crouch, DC on Dec 11, 2010, 3:05 PM
- Now now.... - Lobsang.. on Dec 11, 2010, 3:50 PM
- You see Gary? - Amen Rahh on Dec 11, 2010, 10:56 PM
- Ouch - Gary A Brewer aka BGile on Dec 12, 2010, 10:04 AM
- Re: What? - Amen Rahh on Dec 11, 2010, 6:41 AM
- You forgot to mention Alvin... - Chosen One on Dec 8, 2010, 11:56 AM
- A word about BKF fighter Joe Swift - Amen Rahh on Dec 8, 2010, 10:39 PM
- Why???? - Celestial Pony on Dec 7, 2010, 1:27 PM
- Hello - Michael Miller on Dec 7, 2010, 2:53 PM
- Re: Sparring (freestyle) vs. techniques - Richard Post on Dec 8, 2010, 7:52 PM
- Kenpo Sparring - RNeal on Feb 6, 2011, 1:54 PM