The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

A word about BKF fighter Joe Swift

December 8 2010 at 10:39 PM
No score for this post

Amen Rahh  (Login amenrahh)
from IP address 197.178.3.192

Response to Re: Understood

In BKF there was this click. The click was a small group of BKF Champions. Joe Swift like so many wanted to be in this click. Alvin was a charter member and totally respected leader inside this click. Joe Swift being in the same division just could not beat Alvin in the tournaments. Well BKF politics of course came and got Joe and others and Joe disappeared for like five years. During that time Alvin was shot. One day Joe just appeared at my school and said he had some few students and asked if he could teach them on Saturdays. I hardly remembered him. But when I saw him teaching I was taken back. The man knew so everything about Point Fighting. His classes became a meeting place for top fighters from all around. And note this. Bob White's best fighters came to Joe's Saturday class for instructions. In fact several of Bob White's guys either came to train at BKF-109 school in Watts, or had BKF fighters practicing at Mr. White's school.
When Joe came back he had little interest in tournament fighting, yet he manitained friendships with those in the click, including Ray Wizard, Berry Gordon, Leo Creer and others. He only fought one or two major events, one of them was in Las Vegas against Berry Gordon. Berry Gordon's Father for the first time traveled all the way to Las Vegas to see his son fight. Berry was at that time one of the best if not the best point fighter, calling himself ""The Man, The Myth, And the Legend"" He had these words on the back of his Gi, so you see how he was... Anyway he and Joe traveled together to Las Vegas, and on the trip Berry told Joe if they meet in the finals, that Joe should let him win because his Father would be there. And of course they would split the money. Joe said "No problem Buddy" BKF guys often did this as they usually beat everyone and had to face each other in the finals at mostly every tournament. But, come the Grand Champion Match, Joe went all out and bet Berry like a baby five to zero. Berry was really caught off guard and it showed in the ring. Joe got revenge for some political deed from the past. I know the story well because Joe had to ride back to L.A. in my car, cause Berry refused to let him ride with anyone in the click. Sorry for the long post, but a great story.

www.kkfkenpo.110mb.com
www.africansportkarate.110mb.com
kkfkenpo@yahoo.com

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Martial ArtsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.