The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Re: First Generation Fascination

February 1 2011 at 10:01 AM
No score for this post

Marcel de Jong  (Login nlkenpo)
from IP address 89.184.176.173

Response to First Generation Fascination

Got my black from my instructor, Hans Hesselmann, here in the Netherlands. Started my training on february 11th, 1991 (Yes, exactly 20 years ago a week after next friday), so after Mr. Parker passed away. Needless to say I was never taught by him.

Saying that a first degree black belt is by definition better then any higher degree, would mean that the system will be watered down soon now, and probably be gone in another 50 years...

For historic reasons I like to participate in seminars with people who have trained extensively under Mr. Parker, because of the things they can tell me about the way things were in the old days.

Purely for technical training, I just as much like to be taught by any 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation student (with or without a black belt) as long as the person can teach me something I didn't know yet.

So: can a first generation offer me anything a 2nd can't? YES
Can a higer generation be technically just as good or even better then a first generation? YES TOO

Just my opinion,
Marcel

Marcel de Jong, 4th Black from the Netherlands
[linked image]

http://www.katsudokenpo.nl

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Martial ArtsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.