The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Perspective and reality

February 1 2011 at 7:49 PM
No score for this post
Sami Ibrahim  (Login kenposoldier01)
from IP address 76.73.210.164

I see your point on the importance of perspective. From my perspective Tai Chi Chuan is not as all inclusive or as up to date as American Kenpo. My perspective is based on my belief that a traditional Chinese approach to martial study is impractical in todays fast moving society. If however Tai Chi was taught in a practical and scientific method as some Tai Chi Chuan instructors are doing it becomes amazingly effective.

So the old adage still holds true Anything Can Work and it works easier if you know what effective looks like because let us face the fact that if you did not have a good understanding of self-defense methods, it would be hard to tell a good vertical grappling application from one that could cost you a broken jaw.

I agree with your point that at some point it becomes personal Does it work for me? That is an important question but another question I feel is important is what is it designed to do? I feel like the moves have a general purpose that goes beyond the confines of personal opinion. Like a portion of a technique designed to counter the effects of a push is designed to place you in an ideal position to barrow the energy of the push in your next strike It is beside the point if for whatever reason I cannot personally make it work at the level that I am at, it still has a valid purpose for being in the system. It is like clawing at an attackers eyes, the attacker can hold the opinion that clawing moves are weak and dont work and the person clawing can also hold that personal opinion but personal opinions will not change the damage done to the eyes if the target is indeed clawed.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Martial ArtsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.