The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

The Grooming stage of 'How' to learn the Art & Science

February 12 2011 at 8:11 AM
No score for this post
Sean Kelley  (Login 6410382)
from IP address 205.188.116.80

Response to Re: Yellow Belt 101

As a facilitator having owned my studio for 27 years and then closing it down last year due to economy and other reasons, if a person becomes known in their community as a qualified instructor you will always be searched out by those who have heard of the reputation you have built.
My point is this if we treat the ranking system like a academic study the Yellow belt is like going to First Grade in the public school system. You will learn your ABC'c, how to form words, and then begin to speak the language to form fluid speech in something that will develop over a short time.
Now like most who have a mixed audience of new inspired to learn students you must motivate them by building their confidence with informing them what is expected of them at each level by giving them your curriculum. This tangible recipe you will give them a gauge of what to expect, what they must qualify for, as well as a tool to let them see their own performance being established...and this builds the "I Can Attitude" giving them goals, confidence and trust in your coaching skills.
When I was learning the busines side of running a full time school I had reached out to Mr.Parker and a few others who assisted me in learning the importance of 'Not' teaching to much, to soon and expecting to much from my Elementary level students.
In my career I have experimented what worked for 'Me' in my school since we all have our own theme of what and who we want to teach.
In the late 90's I met Greg Silva who was the president of United Professionals, he was very good at helping those like myself how to operate a school/club like a business not to be confused as a hobby of interest.
Then I also like Mr. Silva networked with Educational Funding Company, NAPMA, and I have to say people like Steve LaValle, Manny Cabrera Sr, and friends like Joe Palanzo, Lee Wedlake and Joe Corley were great mentors in passing on their worth on this topic.
Today I still teach, as they say you may leave the art but the art will never leave you and so I am still teaching my passion 3 days a week and created my own VIP Program but run it with a tighter discipline now than what is going on mostly in the industry as far as the commercial side of Day Care Karate school pick up and less on the side of 'What you earn- you get', because of the generation change it is much harder to run old school of..work hard, learn hard, and quality vs quantity is the final word.
I say if it works for you, then keep at it. I like to from time to time even in my seminars teach the 'Variable Expansion' way of things. This creates the dynamics and excitement for all students to enjoy no matter what rank attends class.
The Science of Kenpo is quite fun especially if you show moves(Motion) that is Parrallel to what they already know. If you share with them that 'Delayed Sword' done with a Double factor Parry and a front cross over to it is no more than the entry to 'Entwined Lance' we now have a Yellow Belt doing something a Brown Belt is learning, this creates fun drills and advanced thinking.
Best way to get answers in the art when researching I have always said then reach out and call your Kenpo uncles and Grand Parents...such as Steve LaBounty, Bob White, Mike Pick, Joe Palanzo, Lee Wedlake, Huk Planas, Gary Ellis, Ed Downey, John Sepulveda...and the Kenpo Yellow Pages or internet communication ability is endless!!!
Enjoy..TCB

TCB....Sean Kelley

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Martial ArtsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.