The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Hello

March 7 2011 at 5:25 PM
No score for this post

Michael Miller  (Login millhouse23)
from IP address 141.158.200.43

Response to a question on.. integration?

I don't really do it in that manner. We do a lot of boxing type workouts - agility drills, bag work, focus mitt, partner interaction training, and sparring. When I teach sparring, I teach boxing and kickboxing (based out of Joe Lewis Fighting Systems).

I teach young children more of the point oriented Kenpo sparring and I teach adults boxing and kickboxing, because that is what works in full-contact. You won't find outward, inward, upward and downward blocks in boxing for a reason - you would get your butt handed to you if you attempted one of those goofy blocks.

I teach a lot of head movement drills, body movement drills and foot movement drills. I teach that timing, distancing and rhythm - primarily broken rhythm - are what rule a fight situation (primarily talking sport - boxing, kickboxing, MMA). What happens if you aren't as fast as your opponent? Or, you don't hit as hard? You need to master timing, distancing and rhythm to have the upper hand.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Martial ArtsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.