The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Those "goofy blocks"

March 9 2011 at 3:36 PM
No score for this post

Lobsang  (Login kenpo58)
from IP address 71.175.108.120

Response to Hello

are only the very roots of more abreavated kenpo karate motion. They are absolutly critical to be grounded in. Also they are helpful as roots in boxing as well. Also don't discount there effectivity in self defense when used by a traditional stylest...

Next time you see your teacher Joe Lewis why don't you run this by him? Ask him about the "goofy blocks". This is not a critique of your ability but just the line of thinking in this case..

There was a video up on YOutube of Ed Parker teaching a class where he was explaining the importance of practcing the goofies in relation to more advanced moverment. I think it is gone.

But your wording has actually helped my. From now on I will tell all my students that the basic 4 blocks are called by an asian word "Gofi". (Go-phi) with a secret meaning.

And yes I did say that they are helpful to boxing motion..

And yeah people will disagree with me but most people in karate cannot do the fundemental blocks correctly as they have been thrown into the abbreviated blocks too fast or not taught the root blocks concomatantly with the offspring blocks.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Martial ArtsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.