The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

tried some things out after looking up Shihonage

December 5 2011 at 12:06 PM
No score for this post

(Login Inkspill)
from IP address 208.54.38.194

Response to Ah, you see

I made one of the orange belts throw step through R punches at me (from 12) yesterday. Unfortunately my phone was dead or I would have filmed it for youtube.

I stepped forward L foot to 10 ish, with a L inward block and R hand in neutral position, checking at solar plexus. I found that I could knock his hand in toward his chest with him bending the elbow, and drive forward through him, and push his elbow up with my R hand (from point of origin at the checking position in front of my solar plexus.

I tried directing his R elbow over his R shoulder more, like in Shihonage, which tended to cause him to take a step back and turn. I also pushed his elbow up and back through his centerline, which seemed more effective at taking him down.

I started stepping the R foot across toward 10:30 / 11 to avoid straddling the paddle (versus stepping with the L foot first), and then stepping through forward with the left as I drove him back and down using his elbow.

I found that as I collapsed his arm I could use my L inward block to pin his hand to his chest, which was more effective than not pinning him. I suppose this created better leverage? This also caused me to have more focus on driving through his wrist into his chest, WITH the right hand shoving against his elbow and slightly up and forward.

I should have filmed it to demonstrate : (

We have class tonight so I'll ask about Taming the Mace.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• That's why - Clyde T. O'Briant on Dec 5, 2011, 7:51 PM
  •  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.