The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Many seem to forget

May 30 2012 at 8:43 AM
No score for this post

Gary A Brewer  (Login BGile)
from IP address 184.8.126.101

Response to Well OK then...

Saw the history of the UFC on tv, other night. Those in Kenpo who are dummies for a very long time.
Need to reevaluate why they are there. I look at it, S&M in some fashion.
Learning should be a give and take in all the drills. Not just receiving a beating for many years.
Being able to take a punch is important though. But much later on in training.

Kenpo= fist way, or way of the fist, if you look at it that way, boxing has to be major influence.

I look at as physically intense. Why the term Kajukenbo is more appropriate.
IMHO EPAK is elementary and should be taught to youngsters with no contact, 1st year.
When they learn a couple of katas and then the reason for them are explained, two man drills, no contact.
Similar to no contact sparring, hitting bags early on is a must, do not strike others.
As they age and learn the essence of the art as I look at it, the contact can be added slowly.

So many just don't get the idea of Self Defense. Self defense is not a sport. It is survival.

Regards,
happy.gif
Gary

This message has been edited by BGile from IP address 184.8.126.101 on May 30, 2012 9:10 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.