The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Re

June 25 2012 at 10:42 PM
No score for this post
Dan Puleo  (Login DanPuleo)
from IP address 108.69.204.87

Response to Low Stances

A fully extended limb has no potential energy of its own. But how are you defining deep? I consider "proper" to be knees bent to the point at which your knees obscure your toes from your own vision. I have students find the depth and width of their neutral bow and then sink down to the dimension of height I just described. Then I tell them to get used to the view from down there because "as long as your hands are up and the fight is on, this is as tall as you should ever be."

I think careful attention should be paid to all 3 dimensions of our stances during forms, but I especially hate seeing someone's height bob up and down during stance changes. If you aren't jumping, leaping, or hopping, your head shouldn't rise above the height of a proper neutral bow, and I think that doing the forms in extra low stances is a great way to condition the legs so that properly low stances aren't as taxing...the ol' swinging two bats methodology. Sparring allows for more freedom of personalized expression, in my opinion. I can't think of any advantage to having a shallow stance, but if somoene is having consistant success with it, whaddya gonna say? In the forms, however, we should all strive to look like shining examples of our basics in motion.

As for maneuvering... Lowering the center of gravity improves balance/stability, and you have to be poised to pounce in order to move with speed and power.

This message has been edited by DanPuleo from IP address 108.69.204.87 on Jun 26, 2012 4:15 PM
This message has been edited by DanPuleo from IP address 108.69.204.87 on Jun 25, 2012 10:43 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.