The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

What we hear when the teacher from the peanuts cartoon speaks,

July 5 2012 at 6:09 PM
No score for this post
Mad Hater  (Login CFAK)
from IP address 71.103.228.85

Response to Sometimes

"Things can appear one way but may be another. When learning to hit hard you quickly get disabused of the notion that a vertical punch has more power than turning the hand over. Sure, there are points in the punch where verticality feels stronger however there are important reasons why you turn a punch over and pre-image it as turning over. This is founded in the root traditional karate basics and the principles of boxing. Now the thing is that it is FAR more difficult to learn to properly turn punches over but when you can do it a new vi9sta of power, alignment and continuity of motion are revealed. As far as osseous structural alignment intrinsic to the forarm it is deceptive and you have to view things from a myriad of factors not the least of which is the global effect of pronating the forarm and its consequenes as realted to the entire picture and not simply one fragment of it. All that said I hit vertically with a straight punch all the time but when I do I am being lazy and I always reflect back as a golfer would thinking I just made a substandard shot even though others may praise it and the other guy gets hit fairly hard. This idea that a vertical punch is harder kind of comes from new age karate pop culture and not from full contact ring fighting or intimate study of fundementals of karate or boxing. It all comes clear after hundreds of hours on a heavy bag when guided by a punching trainer."

And the award for sucking all of the oxygen out of the chat room goes to...
WE ARE THE BORG...WE LAUGH AT YOUR SO CALLED RESISTANCE
Clark

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.