The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

THE ART OF PERPETUAL CHANGE

July 17 2014 at 1:55 PM
No score for this post
CHRISTOPHER KIJ  (Login KENPOKRAZE)
from IP address 63.235.111.226

Response to The bottom line

JUST TO CLEAR THE AIR SO THERE ISNT ANY NUANCES.....I STARTED KENPO IN 2001 AFTER SPENDING 4 YEARS IN SHOTOKHAN, 2 YEARS IN KAJUKENBO, AND A BACKGROUND AS A PRO WRESTLER. I BEGAN KENPO AT A SCHOOL IN FLORIDA WHERE I GOT TO EXPERIENCE BECOMING AN ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR AS WELL AS SPENDING PERSONAL TIME AND SEMINAR TIME WITH HIGHLY RANKED AND WELL KNOWN KENPOISTS. I HAVE BEEN TO LOTS OF SCHOOLS FOR TRAINING AND SEMINAR PURPOSES AND HAVE COME TO THE REALIZATION ( FROM MY OBSERVATION ) THAT YOUR PERFORMANCE AND END RESULT IN THE ART THAT YOU STUDY IS SOLELY DEPENDENT ON YOUR OWN DRIVEN EFFORT. I HAVE SEEN TOO MANY STUDENTS GET HELD BACK BECAUSE OF THE TRADITIONAL WAYS OF THE ARTS. I AGREE THAT STUDENTS SHOULD BE TRAINING AT HOME AS WELL AS AT THE SCHOOLS BUT THE REALITY IS, IS THAT THEY DONT. I HAVE RAN TECHNIQUE LINES, THE LAST OF WHICH I HAD TO HAVE SURGERY AND SPARRED AND DID MY TECHNIQUES AND FORMS AND SETS AND ALL THESE THINGS ARE GREAT TO DO WITH OTHERS, THESE ARE ALSO ALL THINGS THAT YOU CAN DO AT HOME AS WELL. OK.....THE TECHNIQUE LINES AND THE SPARRING MIGHT BE DIFFICULT BUT THERE ARE THINGS YOU CAN DO TO OFFSET THE DEFICIENCIES. I MYSELF, FOCUS SIGNIFICANTLY ON THE CONCEPTS, PRINCIPLES, THEORIES AND TECHNICAL CORRECTNESS OF THE ART AND NOT SO MUCH SPARRING OR TECHNIQUE LINES ANYMORE. IT IS REGARDED BY ALL TRADITIONALISTS THAT WITHOUT AN ACTUAL INSTRUCTOR IN FRONT OF YOU, YOU CANNOT ACHIEVE EFFECTIVENESS ! I DISAGREE......THIS ART IS TAILORED TO FIT YOUR NEEDS AND AS MR. PARKER PUT IT........THE ART OF PERPETUAL CHANGE. IF YOUR CREDENTIALS RELY ON A PIECE OF PAPER BECAUSE OF TRADITION THEN SO BE IT........MINE RELY ON BEING CONFIDENT IN WHAT I KNOW NO MATTER HOW I ACHIEVED IT. MY STUDY IN THE ART OF KENPO DOES COME FROM LINEAGE AND DOES HOLD MERIT AND SUBSTANCE. YOU SPECIFY THAT I AM TRYING TO JUSTIFY NOT MAKING A COMMITMENT.......TO WHAT?..........TRADITION? I AM MAKING A COMMITMENT TO MYSELF EVERYTIME I TRAIN OR STUDY AS DOES EVERYONE ELSE. IF YOU CANT COMMIT TO YOURSELF AT HOME OR IN A SCHOOL, HOW EFFECTIVE WILL THE ART EVER BE ? IM JUST OBSERVING THE FACT THAT STUDYING/TRAINING AT HOME IS FROWNED UPON BY TRADITIONALISTS WHEN IN ALL REALITY IT SHOULD BE RESPECTED CONSIDERING THAT IT IS BEING CARRIED ON AND MOSTLY DONE BY STUDENTS WHO DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO AN INSTRUCTOR. WHERE I LIVE THERE ARE TO MANY WATERED DOWN KENPO SYSTEMS AND BELT FACTORIES THEREFORE, I DO MY OWN TRAINING, YES AT HOME......ACHIEVING TECHNICAL CORRECTNESS = EFFECTIVENESS.....IF THERE NEVER WERE ANY SCHOOLS, WOULD WE BE WITHOUT THE ARTS ?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Martial ArtsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.