The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  

An interesting true story

May 6 2009 at 2:57 PM
No score for this post
tom bleecker  (Login kenpotom)
from IP address 207.200.116.6

Logline: the little guys win out.

A short distance from my home in Sherman Oaks, California is a large public park where I walk/jog twice a day. During this morning's exercise, I noticed something I've never seen before. Out on the acres of grass (the park has the look of a golf course), I noticed a large bird suddenly take to flight. On close examination, I readily identified it as a hawk. At first I assumed the hawk had captured a field mouse or small squirrel, but then saw its beak was empty. As the hawk slowly flapped its wings and gained altitude, I noticed the presence of two crows, who seemingly appeared from nowhere. As the hawk continued its climb, the crows began circling the hawk and maneuvering in what resembled dive bombing. This was interesting to watch because had either of the crows been on the ground and the hawk arrived from above, the defenseless crow would have been snatched and carried off in a heartbeat. But in the air, with the cumbersome flight of the hawk resembling a stealth bomber and the dive bombing crows akin to fighter planes, the hawk could only occasionally flap its wings and glide.

I stood in amazement as I watched the two crows drive this hawk further and further south. When all three had become specks in the sky, I noticed the crows move away, leaving the hawk to hunt anywhere than where I now presumed was initially an area where a crow's nest and newborn crows existed.

So here's a two man attack that won out - two Davids pitted against a Golieth. Anyone care to cleverly name the technique - or the encounter?

Salute

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
mikenpo
(Login mikenpo)

Re: An interesting true story

No score for this post
May 6 2009, 5:21 PM 

I've had the same experience as the hawk. Hiking along the coastline of Central California I was attacked via the "divebomb" strategy. I got a little too close to a nest out on the cliff that I later viewed through binoculars. Also, in Canada by an owl (which was actually a bit hectic) and Australia by crows. I guess word got around the aviary water cooler that the strategy works.

Trejo
(Login Trejo54)

same thing happened to me

No score for this post
May 7 2009, 7:03 PM 

I went to this girl house and her two brothers came after me with baseball bats and chased me away. Sam Ting?

Dave Hopper
(Login KenpoDave)

Re: An interesting true story

No score for this post
May 8 2009, 2:34 PM 

Perhaps the Hawk should have attempted "Plucking a Bird from the Sky."

tom bleecker
(Login kenpotom)

worthless technique

No score for this post
May 8 2009, 3:31 PM 

What I found so interesting was that the hawk was out of its element as a predator. Those two crows harassed the hawk when the hawk was in its search and find cruise mode. As I'm sure you know, hawks have incredible eyesight and can spot a field mouse walking on the desert floor from a mile overhead. Locking in on its prey, the hawk then launches into a dive and literally snatches its prey off its feet. But in the cruise mode, hawks really are defenseless because they're too cumbersome with their wide wingspan. Diving straight down onto their prey is quite another matter. Personally I don't like crows, which I put in the same league as those ungrateful, arrogant, loudmouth blue jays. Hey, I shagged three large catipillers from my tomato plants this morning. So it's already a good day.

Cheers

Jaime Reyes
(Login jaimereyes)

Actually Hawks are wimps

No score for this post
May 9 2009, 12:44 AM 

There are alot of Hawks where I live and I've never seen one do anything bravado. I've seen situations like you described many times. In fact one of the funniest things I've ever seen was a Hawk being bullied by 3 sparrows, lol. True story.

On a side note Tom. Do you move every year? Hell, Just when I think your living in Dana Pointe, your living in Hollywood and now Sherman Oaks? What the hey? lol

tom bleecker
(Login kenpotom)

Re: Actually Hawks are wimps

No score for this post
May 9 2009, 12:13 PM 

>On a side note, Tom. Do you move every year? Hell, Just when I think you're living in Dana Point, you're living in Hollywood and now Sherman Oaks? What the hey?< <br>

It's not that confusing. I moved from Dana Point nearly three years ago, although my publishing company is still based there. I've never lived in Hollywood, but resided in the San Fernando Valley since leaving Dana Point. There are some areas of the Valley, which includes Sherman Oaks, that people refer to as North Hollywood, so therein may lie the confusion.

With regards to hawks, have your sparrows try this move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjmJla-q880

Salute

Jaime Reyes
(Login jaimereyes)

Thanks for the clarification.

No score for this post
May 9 2009, 7:02 PM 

And your video restored my faith in the Hawk as a superior predator.

tom bleecker
(Login kenpotom)

But this...

No score for this post
May 9 2009, 2:15 PM 

...little rascal gets my vote for daring. Love the ear tweak around the 1:20 mark, as well as the tail pull at around 3:00!

Salute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-PpfLCJiPY&feature=PlayList&p=CEE8B4B8FC4E9892&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=8

This message has been edited by kenpotom from IP address 207.200.116.6 on May 9, 2009 2:19 PM

Gary A Brewer aka BGile
(Login BGile)

Re: But this...

No score for this post
May 9 2009, 6:42 PM 

I got this one via e-mail..Pretty awesome.

Golden Eagle hunting Goats:

http://www.truveo.com/Golden-Eagle-Hunting-Goats/id/2084693599

Regards

Anonymous
(Login adnar)

Actually not

No score for this post
May 10 2009, 8:27 PM 

Having flown(my hanglider) around and with hawks and eagles,I know that they hunt(forage for meat)as a sniper or assasin technique-wise and don't as a rule engage in combat as part of that protocol,reluctant to waste energy outside of the immidiate task(food,not combat).However,should you approach a nest or threaten a mate,you will quickly find that they are not wimps and attack the same as your smaller birds but with greater lethality,having better weapons,not deterred by the invader's size(avg glider 10 times larger).Birds fight in defense of territory,nests,pre-emptive,seeking to attack the threat or attack the attack,thrusting wedge,calming the storm,sword of destruction kick first.

Joshua Meredith
(Login kenponet)
Forum Owner

Seen this

No score for this post
May 9 2009, 9:23 AM 

I have seen this quite frequently here in Iowa, usually its with smaller birds though. I have seen single black birds (a little bigger than robins) chase hawks out of their area.

JM

Richard Post
(Login knpo22)

The Great Equilizer......

No score for this post
May 11 2009, 9:32 AM 

I am currently on a cross country road trip on the motorcycle and had an "Encounter With Doom" around FT. Stockton, Texas, with a few birds. They thought they were tough messing with me untill I changed the rules and used my Harley Fat Boy at 80 mph......what a mess, what a great equilizer!!!!!!

Homie don't play that...."Flipping the bird" takes on a whole new meaning, LOL!!!!

Rich

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.