The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  

Kenpo 5.0 technique....

July 21 2009 at 12:14 PM
No score for this post
Cliff  (Login cseminerio)
from IP address 75.26.152.2

Here is a description of a Kenpo 5.0 technique that was sent to me...I would love to hear everbody's opinion:

PIERCING WING
Defending against the closed guard position

While in your opponents guard and his ankles locked behind your back keep your head down in your opponents stomach with your hands protecting your neck. Slip both your hands up and position your fingers inside of your opponents collar bones and press down. Once he reacts to your cavity press by grabbing your wrists slide both your hands outward and grab both of his biceps to control his arms. Release the grip of your right hand and drive it up underneath his chin with a right heel palm strike. When your opponent moves to apply the arm bar, rise up slightly and left heel palm the inside of your right arm to break the pressure and immediately trap his hands on top of your right arm with your left hand. Utilizing reverse motion slide your right arm out and contour his body down and drive your right reverse elbow strike deep into the inside of his left thigh. Drive the point of your right elbow into the inside and middle of his left thigh, breaking his ankles apart and pinning his left leg to the ground while you continue to apply pressure to the sciatic nerve. Immediately slide your right knee over and on top of his leg and replace your right elbow with your right knee and continue the pressure now with your right knee/shin. The ball of you right foot is still on the inside of his left leg but your right knee is on the outside of his leg. The whole time you should keep your head close to his chest and abdomen to avoid strikes directly to the face. Maintaining pressure on your opponents body with yours is also important to avoid and submission attempts from your opponent.

While your body is pancaked on his, open your right knee out a bit to create an angle of entry for your left knee. Once this opening is created slide your left knee through the opening and simultaneously slip your left arm palm down between your opponents right arm and right rib cage. As you continue the above sequence, slide your entire body through while driving your left shoulder into your opponent and end up to the left side of your opponents body in side control. During this maneuver finish with your left hand under hook to your opponents left triceps.

Grab his right wrist in your right hand palm away from you and force your right elbow into his eye socket while following with your left hand to the outside of your opponents right arm. This will take his mind off the grab and also allow you to brace you right arm using the side of his head once he pushes it off his face. With your left arm still under his right, grab your own right wrist with your left hand palm down and fingers only to establish the lock. When you have a solid grip and control of his arm force his right elbow down to the right side of his rib cage by sliding his entire arm down while it is locked. When the elbow is down as far as it will go lever up with your left arm using your right wrist as a fulcrum, this will completely dislocate his shoulder. Place both hands on his chest; spring up drop your left knee in his left rib cage. Spring off that move, turn to your left and drop a right round house kick to his solar plexus and cover out.

Cliff Seminerio
www.youtube.com/casadekenpo

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login DrDaveDC)

OK...

No score for this post
July 21 2009, 1:21 PM 

Taking my own advice:

What I like about it is: Attempting to apply AK C&P terminology to BJJ movements, and the kicks at the end...taking strategic leave by applying ordnance on the way out is not an idea without merit, and the fight doesn't actually stop at submission.

What I'd like to seee improved upon: Basically, it's an attempt to wrap "guard escape with transition to side mount" in a nice little kenpo technique burrito. There is an element of implausibility at the front end; I think there are substantially better weapons and angles available for softening before initiating the escape and transition, and better compliance builders when seeking the arm-bar. Some things are just better learned as complementary skills...better to drill the escape and drill the arm bar, then roll a lot with varied amounts and type of resistance, than to package it in a kenpo technique for rehearsal with a compliant uke.

D.

(Login SCChuck)

Re: OK...

No score for this post
July 21 2009, 4:17 PM 

You just said what I've been thinking since the first time I saw a 5.0 video.

Take it out on the heavy bag,

Chuck Peterson
peterson_charlie@hotmail.com

(Login thunderinghammers)

What is your opinion...

No score for this post
July 21 2009, 4:54 PM 

So dear Cliff,

as far as I understand you are into BJJ (am I correct?)...so what is your oppinion of this technique????

I can tell you (being a 5.0 student myself) this technique is extremely effective...I have used it quite a couple of times during sparring sessions with different MMA practitioners....(ofcourse without the kicks at the end).....

But it would be great to hear an oppinion from a BJJ perspective....

Thanx in advance...

Respect,

Richard Baarspul
Jeff Speakman's Kenpo 5.0 - The Netherlands
www.jeffspeakman.nl
www.ultimatekenpo.blogspot.com

Cliff
(Login cseminerio)

Re: What is your opinion...

No score for this post
July 21 2009, 5:06 PM 

Here you go...

While in your opponents guard and his ankles locked behind your back keep your head down in your opponents stomach with your hands protecting your neck.
-I would keep postured up to strike and make him work to break me down.

Slip both your hands up and position your fingers inside of your opponents collar bones and press down.
-Iffy with the adreniline pumping

Once he reacts to your cavity press by grabbing your wrists slide both your hands outward and grab both of his biceps to control his arms.
-This is to keep him from keeping you broken down, great idea.

Release the grip of your right hand and drive it up underneath his chin with a right heel palm strike.
-I'd rather posture up and smash his face.

When your opponent moves to apply the arm bar, rise up slightly and left heel palm the inside of your right arm to break the pressure and immediately trap his hands on top of your right arm with your left hand.
-Solid. I would be mindful of my hips and his feet here.

Utilizing reverse motion slide your right arm out and contour his body down and drive your right reverse elbow strike deep into the inside of his left thigh. Drive the point of your right elbow into the inside and middle of his left thigh, breaking his ankles apart and pinning his left leg to the ground while you continue to apply pressure to the sciatic nerve.
-Eh...I've never been a big fan of elbowing the thigh..I've seen some "Quadzillas" out there. Also, you're ripe for a triangle here.

Immediately slide your right knee over and on top of his leg and replace your right elbow with your right knee and continue the pressure now with your right knee/shin. The ball of you right foot is still on the inside of his left leg but your right knee is on the outside of his leg. The whole time you should keep your head close to his chest and abdomen to avoid strikes directly to the face. Maintaining pressure on your opponents body with yours is also important to avoid and submission attempts from your opponent.

While your body is pancaked on his, open your right knee out a bit to create an angle of entry for your left knee. Once this opening is created slide your left knee through the opening and simultaneously slip your left arm palm down between your opponents right arm and right rib cage. As you continue the above sequence, slide your entire body through while driving your left shoulder into your opponent and end up to the left side of your opponents body in side control. During this maneuver finish with your left hand under hook to your opponents left triceps.
-Sounds like a baseball slide pass to me. I love that pass more then my own mother.

Grab his right wrist in your right hand palm away from you and force your right elbow into his eye socket while following with your left hand to the outside of your opponents right arm. This will take his mind off the grab and also allow you to brace you right arm using the side of his head once he pushes it off his face. With your left arm still under his right, grab your own right wrist with your left hand palm down and fingers only to establish the lock. When you have a solid grip and control of his arm force his right elbow down to the right side of his rib cage by sliding his entire arm down while it is locked. When the elbow is down as far as it will go lever up with your left arm using your right wrist as a fulcrum, this will completely dislocate his shoulder.
-Americana? Nothing wrong with that.

Place both hands on his chest; spring up drop your left knee in his left rib cage. Spring off that move, turn to your left and drop a right round house kick to his solar plexus and cover out.

Cliff Seminerio

haha...great!

No score for this post
July 21 2009, 5:41 PM 

Great commentary and I agree with you on many ideas!
Your right about elbowing the tight...I gotta say...it worked many times for me but....since this technique has been teached to me nobody ever could aply it on me indeed because of the triangle. I'm teaching my students the triange as an counter for this move......

Great! Thanx for your imput!

Cliff
(Login cseminerio)

Question...

No score for this post
July 21 2009, 5:48 PM 

As a Kenpo 5.0 "guy", what would you do to improve this technique?

Cliff Seminerio

point is...

No score for this post
July 21 2009, 5:54 PM 

..this is just one technique in the system which deals in this kind of situation, there are more techniques from the guarded position.
This technique, just like many techniques in the system, whether it be 4.0, 5.0 or whatever, is just an idea to work from and not a definitive answer to the situation. I like to stack and give him some good shots to the head or turn him over on his belly by stepping over him...in the 5.0 system there is also a defense against that situation (Snapping Branch) but every technique can be countered.
Since this is streetfighting...why not elbow him in the groin instead of the thigh...there are too many options...but again...this is just an idea, one of many!

Cliff
(Login cseminerio)

Re: point is...

No score for this post
July 21 2009, 6:03 PM 

I see...and where did Jeff learn his grappling from?

Cliff Seminerio

Re: point is...

No score for this post
July 21 2009, 6:07 PM 

He trained extensively with mr. Trever Sherman first (who is an MMA guy and Jeff Speakman black belt), now he is training with Todd Nathanson from Machado branch of Jiu Jitsu....according his own words he has found the Ed Parker of Jiu Jitsu. Mr. Nathanson is really helping mr. Speakman out with developing the grappling aspect of the Kenpo 5.0 system....

Let's not forget...

No score for this post
July 21 2009, 6:13 PM 

mr. Speakman is not claiming to be an expert in Grappling or whatsoever....during his seminars he always explains that he is not even good at it...what he is trying is to create defensive techniques against grappling kind of situations in the Kenpo system. Kenpo answers to Grappling situations because grappling is becoming more and more popular and to keep up with the needs of self defense he added these techniques to the system. And now with the help of people who do know something about grappling....

Dave Crouch, DC
(Login DrDaveDC)

I gotta tell ya...

No score for this post
July 21 2009, 6:56 PM 

When they first released the Jeffy-Fu 5.0, I was less than impressed, and frankly pissed by the marketing hype claims...as if Jeff were the first kenpoist to figure out we had to be ground-ready by playing in their pool, too. The techniques I saw from 5.0 were simply not viable solutions against someone with enough sophistication to place a kenpoist in those scenarios in the first place...I would watch them, and think from the grapplers persoective, "You try that on me, I'm gonna break your arms."

But from what I've seen recently, he's doing a lot of clean-up around improving the ground strategies. Some of his boyz are developing into pretty decent wrasslers to boot; not just kenpoists, pretending at grappling moves. Moreover, when I heard he was hooked up with Nathanson, I was sooooper pleased; he was finally jumping into the grappling pool, rather than walking around it, just dipping in his feet, then presenting himself in Olympic swim gear.

It's cleaning up nicely. Not that anyone cares what my opinion would be, but there 'tis anyways. Not a fan yet, but certainly less of a critic.

D.

Current Topic - Kenpo 5.0 technique....
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.