The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  

Brown Belt Pledge

October 7 2010 at 11:26 AM
No score for this post
Chad Warner  (Login ChadWarner)
from IP address 184.1.15.240

2nd Brown Belt Pledge

I understand that like a doctor, the private affairs of students and fellow instructors that come to my attention during the exercising of my responsibilities are privilege communications and must ne ver be discussed with any living soul. I vow that I will never violate this pledge nor any other for the sake of personal benefit.

Have a nice day
W
http://www.kenpoguy.com/

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login BGile)

Re: Brown Belt Pledge

No score for this post
October 7 2010, 11:48 AM 

2nd Brown Belt Pledge

I understand that like a doctor, the private affairs of students and fellow instructors that come to my attention during the exercising of my responsibilities are privilege communications and must ne ver be discussed with any living soul. I vow that I will never violate this pledge nor any other for the sake of personal benefit
Sounds like a religion of sorts to me (we are not benefitting here) it is a debate...

I have a feeling if these talks saved someone from setting in motion a very long contract that is going to keep them there, or walk away and never look back...

So if you did get disgruntled, stop paying, then collect comes to mind...But that takes one with courage IMHO...Going to court and maybe still paying or not???

Or like the Masons thoughts and rituals, that long ago got you killed if you did...Some say it still happens...Hmm

So what is the penalty in AK??? Expulsion as in LDS??? Shunning you for eternity, because you won't go to the special location set down by some man who is in communication, with a God???

Oral Roberts comes to mind or Billy Graham...Truly sad in a nation of freedoms...But then Gangs do exist, and mobsters, also have that ritual...Hmmm

That explains some and also I can then relate to the Coward post that was mentioned and no AKers came forth about it...

Both have been mentioned about AK and the roots of it (LDS and Masonry)...Your post confirms it, now...

Thanks,
Gary

Ray Albrechtsen
(Login KenpoRay)

No score for this post
October 7 2010, 12:18 PM 

I suppose that the pledges helped to add a mystique to the business end of selling Kenpo lessons. The gi's and little rituals that we might do based upon our lineage's tradition would further help to make a customer/student feel "special."

Whether religious organizations did some of the same because they wanted to grow, obtain some control, or received revelation is beyond the scope of the kenpo conversation. When you refer to "mormons" and "masons" because you believe Mr. Parker adapted his Mormon beliefs into selling kenpo, you overlook the possibility that his secondary eduction might have been the source of "marketing" kenpo. After all: rituals, oaths, recited phrases, and secret gestures are part of all kinds of religions and kids TV shows.

And the pledge in question does help remind us not to share one customer's business with another; in general that's a good idea.

(Login BGile)

No score for this post
October 7 2010, 12:28 PM 

Good points Ray...

Yes EPS did study at BYU what you mention, and he was a very good business man...

Off and on he was in the tank or riding a wave of success...

I'll post this link and do a quote that backs up your thinking...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Parker
Parker was well known for his business creativity and helped many martial artists open their own dojos. He was also well known in Hollywood where he trained a great many stunt men and celebrities; most notable was Elvis Presley, to whom he awarded a black belt in Kenpo.

All good information, but it came from wiki, so Todd will say it is not good...
wink.gif

Elvis was a very fortunate thing for EPS and the two were friends until Elvis death...I have the book, read it off and on...Mills Crenshaw name comes up again in helping EPS, with it... It was a rebuttal to what Dave Hebler and others wrote about Elvis...I have that book also...

Gary

(Login ChadWarner)

No score for this post
October 7 2010, 12:29 PM 

2nd Brown Belt Pledge

I understand that like a doctor, the private affairs of students and fellow instructors that come to my attention during the exercising of my responsibilities are privilege communications and must ne ver be discussed with any living soul. I vow that I will never violate this pledge nor any other for the sake of personal benefit
Sounds like a religion of sorts to me (we are not benefitting here) it is a debate...

Chad says:
Cult = culture = religion = philosophy. Not to be confused with Occult.

I have a feeling if these talks saved someone from setting in motion a very long contract that is going to keep them there, or walk away and never look back...

Chad says:
You have the feeling... Your feelings are irrelevant, the pledge is about self respect and illogical gossip.

So if you did get disgruntled, stop paying, then collect comes to mind...But that takes one with courage IMHO...Going to court and maybe still paying or not???

Chad says:
Straw man argument. Will you ever learn? The pledge is about how to resolve conflict. quitting because your feelings get hurt is not character building.

Or like the Masons thoughts and rituals, that long ago got you killed if you did...Some say it still happens...Hmm

Chad says:
A liberal rant that has nothing to do with the pledge.

So what is the penalty in AK??? Expulsion as in LDS??? Shunning you for eternity, because you won't go to the special location set down by some man who is in communication, with a God???

Chad says:
Penalty? How many times can you say the same thing?

Oral Roberts comes to mind or Billy Graham...Truly sad in a nation of freedoms...But then Gangs do exist, and mobsters, also have that ritual...Hmmm

Chad says:
Mobsters? How many ways can you say the same thing?

That explains some and also I can then relate to the Coward post that was mentioned and no AKers came forth about it...

Chad says:
What? Did you change subject again?

Both have been mentioned about AK and the roots of it (LDS and Masonry)...Your post confirms it, now...

Chad says:
Mentioned by who?

Have a nice day
W

(Login BGile)

Sales

No score for this post
October 7 2010, 5:27 PM 

Funny I have seen much of these/similar answers...
Buying a car, some gym etc...

But at least it is somewhat civil...
Interesting how naive, some are...

Regards,
Gary

Chad Warner
(Login ChadWarner)

Samething.

No score for this post
October 7 2010, 5:59 PM 

Gary Brewer says:
Funny I have seen much of these/similar answers...Buying a car, some gym etc...

Chad says:
This is known as a non sequiter fallacy. In this instance the arguer decides to pull a conclusion out of the air without a premise that backs it up or alludes to his conclusion.

But at least it is somewhat civil...Interesting how naive, some are...

Chad says:
Two fallacies here to look at. First one is an appeal to faulty authority. Gary assumes he has the answer to the pledges meanings because he has studied American Kenpo from a book and some dvd's for 6 years. The assumption is illegitimate due to the fact he has never trained in the art of American Kenpo but asserts his qualifications as "have studied other forms of Kenpo" and they are connected.

The next fallacy we can look at is an appeal to ridicule. Gary asserts "some are meaning" if you don't agree with his assertion you are somehow less of a thinker than he is and he lets you know that with ad hominem attack that asserts you are naive.

Have a nice day
W

Gary A Brewer aka BGile
(Login BGile)

Some one is Naive for sure

No score for this post
October 7 2010, 6:24 PM 

Reading here is a joy to behold...The deletion was interesting...Bloodless though, or not???

Your own conclusion about Naive can be addressed by what you posted to me...Just think in that avenue and you will know where I am coming from also...

Gary

Chad Warner
(Login ChadWarner)

Re: Some one is Naive for sure

No score for this post
October 7 2010, 7:15 PM 

Reading here is a joy to behold...The deletion was interesting...Bloodless though, or not???

Chad says:
I don't have a problem with the editing. It was off topic and was indeed a further attempt by Bob Hanes to disrespect himself as he disrespects life and the seriousness of combat.

Your own conclusion about Naive can be addressed by what you posted to me...Just think in that avenue and you will know where I am coming from also...

Chad says:
Appeal to the consequences of a belief. In other words Gary asserts I am naive because I outlined a typical illogical rant complete with an ad hominem attack that he has accused me of doing to him (accusing the accuser). Why do you do that Gary? Do you think you are better than people who train in AK or do you think it is cute to play on peoples emotions to get a reaction out of them? How does that benefit your life?

Have a nice day
W

Gary A Brewer aka BGile
(Login BGile)

Re: Some one is Naive for sure

No score for this post
October 7 2010, 8:16 PM 

Not sure, passing time of late...

I like Lobsang to be honest...

Gary

Current Topic - Brown Belt Pledge
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.