The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  

Last question of the month, stop laughing...

December 3 2010 at 8:43 PM
No score for this post
Clark  (Login CFAK)
from IP address 99.188.209.112

Who exactly is my Senior in Kenpo?

I mean, am I the typical Lone Wolf who should know better and speak in hushed tones before those, um, seniors?

That was two questions, sorry.

"I am I said, and no on cared, and no one heard at all, not even the chair..." Thank you that guy who used to write songs for the Monkeys!

Clark

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Clint Hughes
(Login C_Hughes)

your seniors

No score for this post
December 3 2010, 11:11 PM 

I feel in Kenpo we have lost sight of respect in many situations. Our seniors are those who have come before us in the art. In traditional arts with the belt system any rank 5th or above is honorary. Basically it is above rank. It is all about respect for seniority at that point. In the arts today there are little kids with tons of stripes, so rank is not a good indicator. It is tough though, because some have been in the art for many years but haven't dedicated their life to the art like many of us have. I look to two things for knowing my seniors. I see all of the people who were promoted to 7th or above by Mr. Parker as a senior in the art, and all of us should be a student of one of them, or down the lineage of one of them. I also see anyone with many years in the art who I want to study under as my senior.

That being said, I believe we should treat everyone with respect. I tell even my youth students I would prefer they offer their spot in line to someone else before fighting over the spot to the right. Start with respect, showing respect is the best way to earn it. If we always go in assuming we can learn from others, we will always grow.

Clark
(Login CFAK)

Good Clint, I like it.

No score for this post
December 4 2010, 2:57 AM 

A senior to me is that person that has either gotten better at teaching Kenpo over the years and brings more to the lesson than just "do it that way because...', as well as a person that can achieve their goals but not at the expense of their family, peers and students. That is a Senior in my vocabulary.

There are many that have more ink, there are few that have proven worthy of it. I have found over the years that the people who want you to call them by their first name are the kinds of people I want to be.

Clark

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  
Find more forums on Martial ArtsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.