The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  

Computer Question

January 7 2011 at 5:40 AM
No score for this post

Lobsang  (Login kenpo58)
from IP address 71.175.108.120

I just sent all my old 8mm movies from back in the day to be put on DVD. I am sure there is old kenpo and MR Parker on there. Is there a way for me to take the video off the DVD and post it on youtube? So I can pass it on here?

I am not a super computer person. So excuse my ignorance.

I did try with a DVD and I cannot make it work. I mean at one point I downloaded into a file but that file was not a usuable format and then I tried to convert it but my programs refused..

Thanks a lot..

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Clark
(Login CFAK)

Windows Movie Maker is what you are using I assume,

No score for this post
January 7 2011, 12:47 PM 

Step by step, Kenpo Video for Dummies

1) Place the DVD in the computer
2) Close the window that pops up.
3) Open Windows Movie Maker.
4) On the left hand side, choose Import Video (the blue text)
5) Choose the My Computer button on the left.
6) Choose the Drive Letter that the DVD is in.
7) Choose the file you want to import. (You'll have to figure that out)
8) Be patient, the file may be very large.
9) Once the file is in the window, drag it down to the Video editing level.
10) If there is audio with the video, there will be an audio editing level also.
11) Play the video first, then stop it and choose File.
12) Choose Save Movie File..... this is how the extension changes to a compatible format for your tube.
13) Choose the, My Computer option to save it to your hard drive.
14. Give it a name that you will recognize on the desktop.
15. Make sure that you save it to the Desktop.
16) Choose Next.
17) Now choose the, Other Settings button.
18) Choose, High Quality video (large).
19) Minimize the program and visually search the desktop for the file.
20) Play it by clicking on it and watch to see if it is what you want.
21) Close the Media Player.
22) Open the Movie Maker, save the file and close it.

You should be able to upload to You Tube now.

Clark

Lobsang
(Login kenpo58)

Thanks..

No score for this post
January 7 2011, 1:39 PM 

I will try it. I think I have movie maker. I have Roxio 2011 Creator Pro now and Sony HD Vegas Platinum coming..

Thanks

Clark
(Login CFAK)

Oh Dude!

No score for this post
January 7 2011, 4:23 PM 

Vegas Platinum? USE THAT ONE IF YOU KNOW HOW TO EDIT!
I would partially maim someone for Vegas Platinum on my machine. Well, metaphorically speaking that is. LOL

Vegas is the best I have used.

Make sure you create MP4 files, those are the most usable.

Clark

Lobsang
(Login kenpo58)

Well I

No score for this post
January 7 2011, 5:39 PM 

have been using Roxio Creator 2010. This week I upgraded to Creator 2011-Pro. It was a complete disaster. Any file I put on the storyboard would immediately have the audio talking backward. So I have spent the week with Roxio technical support who after bumping me up the line to higher tiers of technical expertise now says that Creator 2011 pro has a different code or something like that and it is not a fixable situation. So they got the 2010 Creator back on my machine and actually gave me my money back for the 2011 pro. So now I have ordered the Sony Vegas..

I was doing so so well with the Roxio 2010 I just thought the 2011 would help me more.. Oh well.. So this Sony Vegas will come in a couple of days and I am hopeful. I am getting better and better with these programs but am still a beginner with computers. These basic video editing programs are nice but this has become a major hobby and I am seriously thinking of getting a real professial package like the Sony package that is like 500 bucks but I do not know if I would be lost with it or could learn with perseverence. I would like to be able to have a deeper ability to control my possibilities..

This message has been edited by kenpo58 from IP address 71.175.108.120 on Jan 7, 2011 6:03 PM

Clark
(Login CFAK)

Good luck finding the breadth and width of Vegas,

No score for this post
January 7 2011, 8:28 PM 

I have been using Vegas 6 for three years and I have only scratched the surface of its capabilities.

Computers and software are only as smart as the operator, so have fun with Vegas.

Try the less expensive Vegas. Try green screening, PiP (picture in picture) and a few other things. Get some lights and take a course on how to light subjects. You could also take a public access class through the local Cable Provider. It should be free and there is a lot to learn about videography besides the editing process.

Clark

Lobsang
(Login kenpo58)

OK well

No score for this post
January 8 2011, 11:28 AM 

thanks. But I still cannot get the file I made from the DVD into any editing program. Both windows movie maker and Roxio reject them. One is a "GI" file and the other is an "ISO image file".

My Youtube account allows for large files and seems to accept the "ISO" file but this file is slightly over the max so I assume I would need to split it into 2 parts and to do that I assume I would need to edit it in Movie Maker or Roxio or somewhere. Or change the file into a usuable format and then bring it into the editing program..

But I am totally lost. I would like to figure this out because when my 8mm kenpo stuff comes I can put it on youtube..

Thanks

Gary A Brewer aka BGile
(Login BGile)

Re: OK well

No score for this post
January 9 2011, 11:01 AM 

Hope you master this situation and can accomplish what you are intending, would be a real nice thing to look at in the future for history sake...

Gary

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  
Find more forums on Martial ArtsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.