The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  

Family Related Techniques: Obscure

April 20 2011 at 5:59 PM
No score for this post
  (Login Sandanchris)
from IP address 64.134.238.185

I was reviewing and practicing my yellow belt technique Sword and Hammer when I cam across this video by Casa De Kenpo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jai-VEJCnXQ

I have several newb questions for you all:

1)..are all family related techniques differentiated by the attackers dimensions *H-W-D*?

2) or is it more of the relation to Ideal - what if - formulation or Ideal - even if - ideal?

3) or are family related techniques entirely formulated at random based upon the basic

ideal phase of the technique such as Sword and Hammer in this family relationship?

Thanks,

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Clark
(Login CFAK)

Where's Robert when we need him?

No score for this post
April 22 2011, 10:44 AM 

I miss having Robert on the message boards, because, he makes me think before I type, and that's a good thing.

Anyways,

Chris asked;

1)..are all family related techniques differentiated by the attackers dimensions *H-W-D*?

Push - Grab - Pull which then dictates See it - Process it - Do something about it

However, See it may not be an option, we may have to Feel it before we can react. In the video Obscure Sword is the What If technique in that presentation, I learned OS where the attacker is NOT in line of sight because they are directly behind you and they are reaching across their center line to attack your shoulder.

Obscure Sword is Sword and Hammer basically. How far from the ideal phase of your first technique in a grouping determines how much of the conceptual clock you can and will use.

2) or is it more of the relation to Ideal - what if - formulation or Ideal - even if - ideal?

Only by breaking down (feeling is believing) Falcons of Force did I learn to appreciate the lesson learned in Delayed Sword. Being human I appreciate recognizable patterns that build upon and reinforce the goals and outcomes of my physical models. My conceptual models do not determine how I use my Kenpo tools, but it does make for interesting thought experiments. As Robert was fond of reminding us, paralysis of analysis hinders your development. Actually, Tom B. said it a lot also. Smart men speak simply.

3) or are family related techniques entirely formulated at random based upon the basic

You can start by understanding the differences of what are foot maneuvers and what are stance changes. As I have been showing you, flexion weight shift and then rotation is the way you get in to the forward bow. How you move back in SF1 is more complicated than moving back in LF1. There the difference is based on whether you use your rear hand or not. So look again at the ideals in the video and look for where the feet are when they get to the initial three points of contact. Are their feet stable? Are their strikes synchronized with their stances - foot maneuvers - stance changes?

The chicken or the egg. Chaos and Order. The Web of Knowledge (I.I. book 5) proves the template to be correct, and worth examining.

ideal phase of the technique such as Sword and Hammer in this family relationship?

Yellow belt techniques can morph and adapt (or be inserted) to many ideal phase attacks. I do not see yellow belt techniques as starting points, but more of a smorgasbord of what is to come in the system.

Just thought I would try to answer his question. Y'all seemed a little hesitant to join in.

Hips control feet, feet control Hips.
or, Hips control feet, feet control hands, hands control feet, feet control hips
Closes the loop nicely doesn't it? Thanks Bode.
Clark

(Login EdwinRaven)

Same point of origin, same defintion

No score for this post
August 15 2011, 3:52 AM 

Family related moves are moves that have the same Point of Origin and the same definition (block, strike).

So, e.g., all techniques that start with a left inward block are family related (Thundering Hammers, Sleeper, Dance of Death etc.).

Then there are cousins and nephews - that is the opposite hand that starts of at a different Point of Origin.

With this knowledge techniques can be grafted - e.g. Thundering Hammers could be grafted to Circling the Horizon if the right forearm strike is blocked since the right arm in Thundering Hammers and Circling the Horizon have the same Point of Origin (countered on right leg).

Check www.kenpo2000.com for
- Family Related Moves chart
- Manuals and Guides - in one of them (forget which one - should ask Mr. Hancock) - Family Related Moves are explained and in the Guide defined (definition).

Current Topic - Family Related Techniques: Obscure
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.