The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  

question

May 4 2012 at 12:01 PM
No score for this post

Chuck  (Login Inkspill)
from IP address 208.54.38.235

Why does the answer to all my problems continue to be "keep practicing Kenpo"?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login ClydeT)

Because

No score for this post
May 5 2012, 6:44 AM 

Very few people are actually doing and/or teaching Kenpo anymore. Many of the Parker Black Belts have gone on to other things. There's a very predominant instructor on the East Coast certified and teaching Systema. While others think they need to attend to the "ground" game and are teaching a variety of techniques and changing the blueprint of Mr. Parker's original works. While other again, have completely abandoned the material and created their own, calling it "leaner and meaner", or strictly teaching the Concepts, Theories, and Principles and calling it something else.

I think most of the ones who've changed it never understood it to begin with. They've made their own conclusions of the art based on their physical and mental abilities, and most of them are lacking in both.

I get chastised for many of my ideas concerning the art. ARMMing, Gelatinous Phase, Three things necessary,catalysts,Even-If, etc., etc. I'm expounding on the ideas of Mr. Parker, refining the art while keeping it intact, and teaching the blueprint laid out in Mr. Parker's books. My subtle changes don't "change" the art, it simply lays it out in a more palatable way, and easier to understand. I've found teaching a refined version also helps the students find the art in it's entirety, not just parts of it.

There are Kenpo studios who focus on Tournaments, and I've never seen a post where any of them ever discuss the finer points of what a technique, form, or set teaches. For them, it's all about something else.

I'm hardcore, when I teach you, I'll hurt you to make you learn, or just go away. If you're one of my student, you'll learn to manifest the art (all of it, the CTPs, everything),and you'll understand not just pontificate about it.

My teacher taught me very well, and I don't intend to betray his trust and knowledge by going off and doing something weird. I'm simpy trying to improve the pedagogy of what he gave me so more will truly understand the art as a whole.

In summation, the answer to your question is:

You can only practice what you know, physically, but what most don't ask is, have you thought about Kenpo? Practicing will only help so much if you never understand why. But, if you don't understand why, you'll tell a student to keep practicing because that's all they know.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

[Posted by 66.215.244.139 viahttp://webwarper.net This is added while posting a message to avoid misuse.
Try:http://webwarper.net/webwarper.exe Example of viewing:http://webwarper.net/ww/www.network54.com/Forum/160433/post ]

(Login Inkspill)

thanks for the thoughts

No score for this post
May 5 2012, 8:18 AM 

I should have been more specific in my question,

What I find is that when parts of my life seem unmanageable, "practice my Kenpo" continues to be the answer.

Having difficulty regulating emotions, practice my Kenpo.
Having difficulty letting things go, practice Kenpo.
Stressed, falling into old unhealthy habits, feeling insecure, etc, practice my Kenpo.

I feel Kenpo improves me on multiple levels/aspects, it's beautiful and wonderful.

Gary A Brewer
(Login BGile)

Important

No score for this post
May 5 2012, 11:55 AM 

I think Clyde has some important information for those who want to study...
This link is a real clue as to what EPS was all about.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/673909/message/1335380466/In+his+own+words%21

Regards,
Gary

Chuck
(Login Inkspill)

Hi Gary

No score for this post
May 5 2012, 9:35 PM 

Good stuff. I must not fear change, fear is the mind killer.

Gary A Brewer
(Login BGile)

Change

No score for this post
May 15 2012, 7:41 AM 

Ed Parkers Kenpo.
I believe the new website set up by his family, is a must for those who want to study and learn what his Kenpo was all about.

It is fairly recent site and growing...

http://www.edparkersr.com/

His bio from the site

http://www.edparkersr.com/legacy/biography/

Some feel it is the best self defense for them, EPS would want all to experience his AK, but also continue to grow...
IMHO
happy.gif

Regards,
Gary

Bob Hanes
(Login kenpo58)

Ok well....

No score for this post
May 5 2012, 10:29 PM 

The lessons learned in the practice of martial arts can be transposed to life management. There are many relationships between the two. In your kenpo you have principals such as point of origin, centerline, elimination of gaps, fitting, contouring. All of these things have an infinity of applications in real life from business to court and more. To the general interaction with individuals on all levels. But I would warn that the simply study is not enough in the dojo. You must learn these lessons by having them imbedded deeply from actual application. You cannot apply defense of centerline in life as an extension of martial arts if you have not experienced damage in the ring from neglecting it.

Additionally of course your kenpo practice can be a haven from trouble and used for that. But this is really common to any other hobby of substance.

Finally. A study like kenpo which is complex and functional can teach you more intimately about the mechanics of your mind. How it works. It can give it a functional system of mental organization and movement within that mental system in terms of both linear and non linear thinking. Just as your kenpo if learned correctly will be organized, creative and seamless so it can assist your mind in all respects to proceed in that manner. Now Kenpo is not by any means exclusive as far as a pursuit that can do these things but I think it is a very good one. And the next step is to transcend kenpo and see the functional common threads in all arts. Ultimately in all things universally.

The universe has certain mechanics and they are common to all levels from the macrocosmic movement of galaxies to the interplay of fundamental particles. From the orbits of the planets to the orbits you do in your kenpo. In the occult studies for example there is a saying. As above so below. This means that all levels are mirror reflections of each other and by studying one we can know the other. Metaphysically the physical mirrors the spiritual and the reverse.

Enjoy your art!

This message has been edited by kenpo58 from IP address 71.175.108.120 on Jun 24, 2012 9:36 AM

(Login Inkspill)

Thank you

No score for this post
May 6 2012, 8:41 AM 

I appreciate the clarity.

I cannot say what meaning there may be. While I'm sentient I feel my path is to seek harmony, clarity, and preservation.

Gary A Brewer
(Login BGile)

Bob

No score for this post
May 11 2012, 9:25 AM 

Make the best of it, while you are here...
Otherwise it can be pretty miserable...

happy.gif

Gary

Bob Hanes
(Login kenpo58)

Certainly..

No score for this post
May 12 2012, 6:44 AM 

Realizing that nothing matters is actually a very freeing thing. Also you can pretend like you are all serious and concerned about things but in your heart you know it is all a bunch of nonsense. For example I can say "If you do ground fighting you are an idiot". Or "this concept of Parker's is trash". Then people get all defensive like it is the end of the world. Of course at the same time people are dying in Haiti while other people justify their lives.

But in the end nothing matter. So who cares about the people in Haiti? Who cares about martial arts? I think the pivotal point in my life as a martial artist is when I finally was able to dismiss my friends and stop loving my kid. I realized that none of the emotions existed. Just fabrications. When you look at your wife or child and feel love it is simply a neurological reaction that developed through evolution.

So you see when you are able to see reality clearly your martial arts improve. Your illusions break down.

I mean instead of all the belt rank crap. Instead of being a good boy and being nice and all mezmerized by your teacher. Instead of having friends as a social outlet in a karate school and that fake support system. Just start being cold to people and telling them they are nothing compared to you. Then just walk out on the school floor and beat the living crap out of people with no remorse. Then when people try and be your friend tell them to hit the road and they are nothing.

In other words all the nonsense like love, belt ranks, friendship, emotions, respect screws you up as a martial artist. It is not real anyway so it should be cut out.

You know I have about had it. At this one health club where I go to hit the bag people will bother me. Like they want to talk about crap like what they think they know about boxing/karate. Now I just say "Get out". Or "You don't know nothing and are an idiot~Get out". But of course I treat the pro boxing trainers that come to the club all nice. They are usable goods for me. In other words I can get something out of them. But then I shall suck them dry and reject them.

Then I will climb to the top of a mountain. The highest mountain I can find and do a few moves and drop dead from a heart attack. Over millions of years my body will merge with the mountain and the oceans will cover the mountain and eventually all will be one. Sun will go Nova and then collapse. Then eventually the entire universe will collapse into a tiny walnut that weighs as much as the universe did.

Maybe I will go on a low carb diet. Maybe go to the chinese buffet. Maybe Fred Flintstone was right. Wilma!!! I was always attracted to Wilma. Good woman! Nice legs!

Namaste Gary!

Gary A Brewer
(Login BGile)

Re: Certainly..

No score for this post
May 13 2012, 11:05 AM 

Are you studing the eight limbs???

http://www.expressionsofspirit.com/yoga/eight-limbs.htm

Gary

Bob Hanes
(Login kenpo58)

Actually

No score for this post
May 13 2012, 2:57 PM 

I am trying to tune into the "Vril".

This message has been edited by kenpo58 from IP address 71.175.108.120 on Jun 24, 2012 9:38 AM

Gary A Brewer
(Login BGile)

More

No score for this post
May 14 2012, 10:43 AM 

I checked this one out also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qECPyU6J4w&feature=relmfu
wink.gif
Regards,
Gary

Current Topic - question
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.