The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  

CONFIDENCE IN KENPO/SELF

July 16 2014 at 11:03 AM
No score for this post
CHRISTOPHER KIJ  (Login KENPOKRAZE)
from IP address 63.235.111.226

THE FOREVER ONGOING DISCREPANCY OF WHETHER OR NOT STUDYING AT HOME IS EFFECTIVE IS SOLEY DEPENDENT ON YOUR CONFIDENCE IN YOURSELF AND THE ART WITH WHICH YOU STUDY. I HAVE SPENT YEARS OFF/ON TRAINING IN SCHOOLS AND RANDOM DOJOS AND HAVE SUCCUMBED TO THE REALIZATION THAT YOU GET OUT OF THE ART WHAT YOU PUT IN. IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PHYSICALLY TRAINING WITH OTHERS AND TRAINING ALONE?.....THE ANSWER IS YES. WHEN TRAINING WITH OTHERS, YOU GET THE FEEL OF WHAT IS ACTUALLY, PHYSICALLY HAPPENING WHICH HELPS WITH THINGS SUCH AS BALANCE, TIMING, AND SPEED AWARENESS. THE ULTIMATE MISTAKE THAT PEOPLE MAKE WHEN TRAINING ON THERE OWN IS THAT THEY DO NOT VISUALIZE WHAT IS HAPPENING THEREFORE THEY MIME THEIR WAY THROUGH THEIR TECHNIQUES ETC. DOES THIS MEAN THAT HAVING ANOTHER PHYSICAL BODY PRESENT IS BETTER THAN TRAINING ON YOUR OWN?......NOT NECESSARILY. THE KEY TO TRAINING AT HOME IS TO VISUALIZE AND HAVE THE CONFIDENCE IN YOURSELF TO MAKE WHAT YOU ARE DOING EFFECTIVE. I SPENT SOME TIME AS AN ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR ALONG WITH THE TIME I HAVE SPENT IN SCHOOLS AND TRAINING ALONE AND HAVE OBSERVED THAT WHEN IT COMES TO REAL LIFE SITUATIONS, IT WILL BE UP TO YOU TO REACT ACCORDINGLY !!......YOUR INSTRUCTORS ARE THERE TO GUIDE YOU THROUGH WHAT HAS TO BE LEARNED BUT IF THAT IS WHAT YOU SOLELY RELY ON, THEN YOU LACK THE CONFIDENCE IN YOURSELF TO REACT ACCORDINGLY. I HAD A STUDENT ONCE THAT WAS COMPLETELY CONFIDENT IN HIMSELF WHILE IN THE SCHOOL TRAINING BUT WHEN HE STUMBLED INTO A SITUATION OUTSIDE OF THE SCHOOL, HE FROZE AND THE OUTCOME WAS NEGATIVE. TRAINING YOUR NEUROMUSCULAR MEMORY TO REACT WITHOUT THINKING, HAVING THE CONFIDENCE TO UTILIZE THE TECHNIQUES THAT ARE EFFECTIVE, DIFFUSING SITUATIONS BEFORE THEY BECOME PHYSICAL, THESE ARE SOME OF THE THINGS THAT ONLY YOU YOURSELF CAN TEACH YOU. THE BEAUTY OF THE ART OF KENPO IS THAT YOU TAILOR IT TO FIT YOUR NEEDS. ITS IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND THAT ITS COMPLETELY UP TO YOU TO KNOW AND SEEK THE CONFIDENCE IT TAKES TO EXPLORE WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DOESNT WHETHER OR NOT YOU NEED SOMEONE PHYSICALLY PRESENT OR NOT. BE TRUE AND REAL TO YOURSELF AS TO NOT CHEAT YOUR WAY THROUGH THE ART LACKING THE CONFIDENCE NEEDED FOR IT TO SUCCEED. I WENT TO COLLEGE ONLINE AND WAS GIVEN MY ASSIGNMENTS AND TIMES THAT THEY WERE DUE SO IT ALLOWED ME TO ALLOCATE THE TIME THAT I THOUGHT WAS NECESSARY IN ORDER TO BE SUCCESSFUL. SOME PEOPLE HAVE TO ACTUALLY SHOW UP AND SIT IN A CLASSROOM IN ORDER TO ABSORB WHAT IS BEING INSTRUCTED. IF YOU TRAIN IN A CLASSROOM OR YOU TRAIN AT HOME THE END RESULT WILL REFLECT WHAT YOU HAVE PUT IN NOT WHETHER YOU WERE IN A CLASSROOM OR NOT. I FEEL THAT TRAINING AT HOME GETS TOO MUCH DISCREPANCY......HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU BEEN TO DIFFERENT SCHOOLS AND SAW BLACK BELTS DOING TECHNIQUES THAT WERE COMPLETELY OUT OF SYNC. AND NOT BECAUSE THEY DONT KNOW THEM BUT BECAUSE THEY NEVER REVISIT THEM. HOW WILL THEY WORK IF THEY ARE NEVER EXPERIENCED AGAIN?......HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR ART NO MATTER WHERE AND HOW YOU TRAIN AND THE REST WILL FALL INTO PLACE.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Bob Hanes
(Login kenpo58)

The bottom line

No score for this post
July 16 2014, 1:24 PM 

is hat you need a fully qualified teacher to transmit kenpo karate to you. Without that you have very little as there will be no substance from lineage. Gross movements may be there but nuances will not be. People that study at home always come to a big realization when they are taught by a great teacher. Taught the ART.

I am not trying to be mean but you sound like you are trying to justify not making a commitment that you must if you want to be adept at the art.

namaste

CHRISTOPHER KIJ
(Login KENPOKRAZE)

THE ART OF PERPETUAL CHANGE

No score for this post
July 17 2014, 1:55 PM 

JUST TO CLEAR THE AIR SO THERE ISNT ANY NUANCES.....I STARTED KENPO IN 2001 AFTER SPENDING 4 YEARS IN SHOTOKHAN, 2 YEARS IN KAJUKENBO, AND A BACKGROUND AS A PRO WRESTLER. I BEGAN KENPO AT A SCHOOL IN FLORIDA WHERE I GOT TO EXPERIENCE BECOMING AN ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR AS WELL AS SPENDING PERSONAL TIME AND SEMINAR TIME WITH HIGHLY RANKED AND WELL KNOWN KENPOISTS. I HAVE BEEN TO LOTS OF SCHOOLS FOR TRAINING AND SEMINAR PURPOSES AND HAVE COME TO THE REALIZATION ( FROM MY OBSERVATION ) THAT YOUR PERFORMANCE AND END RESULT IN THE ART THAT YOU STUDY IS SOLELY DEPENDENT ON YOUR OWN DRIVEN EFFORT. I HAVE SEEN TOO MANY STUDENTS GET HELD BACK BECAUSE OF THE TRADITIONAL WAYS OF THE ARTS. I AGREE THAT STUDENTS SHOULD BE TRAINING AT HOME AS WELL AS AT THE SCHOOLS BUT THE REALITY IS, IS THAT THEY DONT. I HAVE RAN TECHNIQUE LINES, THE LAST OF WHICH I HAD TO HAVE SURGERY AND SPARRED AND DID MY TECHNIQUES AND FORMS AND SETS AND ALL THESE THINGS ARE GREAT TO DO WITH OTHERS, THESE ARE ALSO ALL THINGS THAT YOU CAN DO AT HOME AS WELL. OK.....THE TECHNIQUE LINES AND THE SPARRING MIGHT BE DIFFICULT BUT THERE ARE THINGS YOU CAN DO TO OFFSET THE DEFICIENCIES. I MYSELF, FOCUS SIGNIFICANTLY ON THE CONCEPTS, PRINCIPLES, THEORIES AND TECHNICAL CORRECTNESS OF THE ART AND NOT SO MUCH SPARRING OR TECHNIQUE LINES ANYMORE. IT IS REGARDED BY ALL TRADITIONALISTS THAT WITHOUT AN ACTUAL INSTRUCTOR IN FRONT OF YOU, YOU CANNOT ACHIEVE EFFECTIVENESS ! I DISAGREE......THIS ART IS TAILORED TO FIT YOUR NEEDS AND AS MR. PARKER PUT IT........THE ART OF PERPETUAL CHANGE. IF YOUR CREDENTIALS RELY ON A PIECE OF PAPER BECAUSE OF TRADITION THEN SO BE IT........MINE RELY ON BEING CONFIDENT IN WHAT I KNOW NO MATTER HOW I ACHIEVED IT. MY STUDY IN THE ART OF KENPO DOES COME FROM LINEAGE AND DOES HOLD MERIT AND SUBSTANCE. YOU SPECIFY THAT I AM TRYING TO JUSTIFY NOT MAKING A COMMITMENT.......TO WHAT?..........TRADITION? I AM MAKING A COMMITMENT TO MYSELF EVERYTIME I TRAIN OR STUDY AS DOES EVERYONE ELSE. IF YOU CANT COMMIT TO YOURSELF AT HOME OR IN A SCHOOL, HOW EFFECTIVE WILL THE ART EVER BE ? IM JUST OBSERVING THE FACT THAT STUDYING/TRAINING AT HOME IS FROWNED UPON BY TRADITIONALISTS WHEN IN ALL REALITY IT SHOULD BE RESPECTED CONSIDERING THAT IT IS BEING CARRIED ON AND MOSTLY DONE BY STUDENTS WHO DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO AN INSTRUCTOR. WHERE I LIVE THERE ARE TO MANY WATERED DOWN KENPO SYSTEMS AND BELT FACTORIES THEREFORE, I DO MY OWN TRAINING, YES AT HOME......ACHIEVING TECHNICAL CORRECTNESS = EFFECTIVENESS.....IF THERE NEVER WERE ANY SCHOOLS, WOULD WE BE WITHOUT THE ARTS ?

Bob Hanes
(Login kenpo58)

God Bless You

No score for this post
July 17 2014, 7:31 PM 

Nothing to do with tradition. The only way to reach maximum correctness is to be mentored by someone who is really good and can mold you. There is just too much data and art in a single punch even to learn it without a masterful teacher...

The only way to learn is to study with someone for a number of years. Study personally.

Otherwise you have a shell. No inside. No heart. It is a false heart. An illusion of confidence. False confidence....

I respect people that try to learn at home. I just don't think they know anything substantial. How could they? In fact they are reinforcing bad habits..

It is always nice to see a video

Maybe I am slanted because every single person that talks the way you do sucks. So based on past experience I I have my reservations..

Shanti!

CHRISTOPHER KIJ
(Login KENPOKRAZE)

AGREED

No score for this post
July 18 2014, 3:56 PM 

I AGREE WITH YOU THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE A MENTOR/INSTUCTOR AS I HAVE HAD MYSELF FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS. I ALSO AGREE WITH YOU THAT YOU DO RESPECT PEOPLE WHO TRAIN AT HOME. PEOPLE THAT HAVE NEVER TRAINED WITH ANYONE AND ALWAYS TRAINED AT HOME DO REINFORCE BAD HABITS BECAUSE THEY HAVE HAD NO GUIDANCE..............I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE. I ALSO AGREE WITH YOU THAT IT IS ALWAYS NICE TO SEE VIDEO, USE MIRRORS, ETC. TO SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING INCORRECT ETC. BY APPLYING WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNED IN AND OUT OF THE CLASSROOM WITH GUIDANCE WILL GIVE YOU THE TOOLS YOU NEED TO MAKE SELF CORRECTIONS IN YOUR TRAINING AT HOME. I LEARNED THIS LONG AGO " NOT EVERY INSTRUCTOR IS A BLACK BELT, NOT EVERY BLACK BELT IS AN INSTRUCTOR ".THE PEOPLE THAT CHOOSE TO STUDY AT HOME WITHOUT EVER HAVING ANY MENTOR/INSTRUCTOR OR CLASSROOM INSTRUCTION DOESNT MEAN THAT WHAT THEY ARE LEARNING IS INEFFECTIVE.........ANYTHING THEY DO IS MORE EFFECTIVE THAN NOT HAVING DONE ANYTHING......WHETHER OR NOT THEY CAN PULL IT OFF IS ANOTHER ISSUE BUT NOT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN BEING IN A CLASSROOM. NO MATTER HOW YOU STUDY THE END RESULT RELIES IN HOW MUCH EFFORT YOU HAVE GIVEN. IT IS BETTER TO HAVE AND NOT NEED THAN NEED AND NOT HAVE. I DROPPED RANK IN THE ART OF KENPO 3 TIMES SO FAR ON MY JOURNEY AND BEGAN AGAIN BECAUSE I WAS INFORMED EACH TIME THAT WHAT I WAS LEARNING WAS NOT NECESSARILY CORRECT OR COMPLETELY OUT OF ORDER BUT FOR THE MOST PART IT WAS PIECES OF TECHNIQUES THAT WERE EITHER REMOVED AND ADDED ELSEWHERE OR NO LONGER BEING USED.THERE ARE PLENTY OF VIDEOS ONLINE AS WELL AS OTHER TOOLS TO HELP YOURSELF ALONG THE WAY IF YOU DO CHOOSE TO STUDY AT HOME.I SPENT TO MUCH TIME SITTING ON HOLD WAITING FOR OTHERS TO PROGRESS AS WELL AS BEING SHOWN HOW TO DO A TECHNIQUE CONSISTENTLY DIFFERENT BECAUSE EVERY INSTRUCTOR SAW IT DIFFERENTLY. THE BEAUTY OF THE PARKER SYSTEM IS THAT IT IS ENTIRELY BASED ON BASICS AND PRINCIPLES. MY MENTORS ALWAYS TOLD ME THAT IF YOU CANT DO THE BASICS AND PRINCIPLES THEN YOU WILL NEVER ACHIEVE TECHNICAL CORRECTNESS................I DISAGREE WITH YOU THAT STUDYING AT HOME GIVES YOU A SHELL, NO INSIDE, NO HEART.........I DO AGREE WITH YOU THAT YOU MAY BE SLANTED AND THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO STUDY AT HOME THAT SUCK. YOUR OUTCOME WILL ALWAYS DERIVE FROM YOUR INPUT....................GOD BLESS YOU !!

Bob Hanes
(Login kenpo58)

Talk is cheap/Video Please

No score for this post
July 18 2014, 4:10 PM 

I would like to see what have arrived at on video.

Shanti!

CHRISTOPHER KIJ
(Login KENPOKRAZE)

YOUR RIGHT/ADDRESS PLEASE

No score for this post
July 18 2014, 4:41 PM 

YOUR RIGHT.....TALK IS CHEAP........JUST LIKE YOUR POLITICAL RESPONSES ON HERE........THIS IS A KENPO FORUM.

Gary A Brewer
(Login BGile)

Re: YOUR RIGHT/ADDRESS PLEASE

No score for this post
August 6 2014, 9:06 PM 

You should know then to type like this...
NOT LIKE THIS...

Kenpo has been political for as long as I can recall...
Sad actually for it has ruined AK, especially since death of EPS...
But it was there before, but we did not have web...

Regards,
GAB

ElizDVM
(Login ElizDVM)

Interesting

No score for this post
December 9 2014, 1:26 PM 

I did not realize practicing at home was frowned upon by anyone. Until recently, I practiced at a studio as well as at home. Ideally, you would do both. I will be practicing at home alone for a while but hope to find an American Kenpo studio to train at sometime in the future. I have a lot of DVDs which help keep me going. Are there any which you would recommend?

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Articles  
Find more forums on Martial ArtsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.