<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Deseronto approved

April 12 2012 at 12:23 AM
No score for this post

GS  (Login Gazettesports)
Empire B Junior League

Pirates twitter feed reporting Deseronto club will join the Empire in 2012-13...

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login octane_boost)

Re: Deseronto approved

No score for this post
April 12 2012, 11:42 AM 

I am looking forward to another team. Five teams just gets repetitive. The talent is there, just need to work at attracting them.

(Login fan17173030)

No score for this post
April 13 2012, 12:33 PM 

Congrats Deseronto this is very exciting for the league and fans

Anonymous
(Login Desfan)

No score for this post
April 14 2012, 9:18 AM 

good news, but from my understanding (correct me if im wrong), there still needs to be approval from OHA?

Adam Bull
(Login AdamBull)

No score for this post
April 14 2012, 9:49 AM 

OHA has stated on a few occasions that another team is needed in the empire so the chances of them not Approving Deseronto are very slim as there is not many teams knocking on our door to join and Deseronto is an established team so its not like they are coming into this blind.

But yes it requires the approval of the OHA

Anonymous
(Login Desfan)

No score for this post
April 21 2012, 5:06 PM 

from reading recent articles in the Kingston Whig Standard, it seems Napanee and Deseronto have come to an agreement they will not recruit players or get sponsors from each others area. Would this mean John Sweet`s rights would be traded to Deseronto?

Iceman
(Premier Login empirerideau)
Forum Owner

No score for this post
April 21 2012, 5:18 PM 

I wondered how long it would take before this question was asked.

Anonymous
(Login dezeloo)

Deseronto approved

No score for this post
April 21 2012, 9:47 PM 

I understand that John Sweet was released by Napanee when he went back to the Storm. I have no idea if he is eligeble to play in the league next season.

Anonymous
(Login Desfan)

No score for this post
April 21 2012, 10:01 PM 

Well I am certainly no expert when it comes to the rules and such so I very well might be wrong, but the way I understand is as long as the player is signed in the previous year, they are allowed to play in the overage year? or is that voided once the player quits/released?

offside12
(Login offside12)

No score for this post
April 21 2012, 10:25 PM 

i think they have to be carded at the dec 1 cutdown and remain carded for the remainder of season with the same team to play as an overager.

Adam Bull
(Login AdamBull)

No score for this post
April 21 2012, 10:33 PM 

The player would have to be carded prior to the dec cutdown and remain carded to the end of the season since sweet was not on a napanee card after dec cutdown he wouldn't be eligible to play under OHA rules

Anonymous
(Login dezeloo)

Deseronto approved

No score for this post
April 21 2012, 10:51 PM 

This would mean that Deseronto will not be allowed to have any overages since they were not in the league last year. This would make it tough for them in there first year.

(Login Desfan)

No score for this post
April 21 2012, 11:01 PM 

oh well, rules are rules, just thankful they are finally out of the GMHL, unfortunately for Sweet, looks like he will have to stay there

Estock
(Login Estock)

Rules?

No score for this post
April 22 2012, 8:03 AM 

The Clarington Eagles had overaged players this season despite the fact it was their first year in Junior C.

Adam Bull
(Login AdamBull)

Re: Rules?

No score for this post
April 22 2012, 4:23 PM 

Without going back and reading my emails if I'm not mistaken Deseronto is allowed overagers but not including sweet as he was registered with the raiders last season prior to defecting back to Deseronto

(Login authur)

GMHL

No score for this post
April 22 2012, 7:05 PM 

I must admit to not knowing an awful lot about hockey so any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. I noticed a comment on a previous message re "leaving the GMHL thankfully". The reason this caught my attention is that my son has recently been approached by a team from the GMHL with a view to playing for them next season. Therefore, your comment made me wonder if we should be concerned at all if he should decide to play in this league? We are fairly new to junior hockey and don't really know how the whole league system works etc.

(Login Desfan)

Re: GMHL

No score for this post
April 22 2012, 9:38 PM 

The GMHL has some good things going on but for the most part I would say stay away. The level of play is certainly not at a Jr.A level. I have taken in Deseronto games in the GMHL, Napanee games in the empire and Wellington games in the OJHL and the level of play is substantially different. There are maybe two teams in the GMHL that could survive in the OJHL and they are: South Muskoka, Sturgeon Falls. The GMHL has minimal high end talent, then has a handful of teams who compete at a Jr.C level and then has the bottom team who are no more skilled then your juvenile hockey teams. Deseronto would not compete in the OJHL, that is why I see a move to Jr.C ideal and from where I see it, the skill level between empire b and the GMHL are more comparable. You will likely end up paying far to much for your son to play hockey and he will not likely get good exposure to NCAA if that is the route he is looking to go. My advice, try out for an OJHL team first, if that fails then you could make the investment in the GMHL, but at the rate the league actually advances kids to the next level, it is not worth the money.

Heres a comparison to consider

Temiscaming played in the NOJHL in 2010/2011 (some consider this a weak Jr.A league as well)

They had a 18 wins and 29 losses

Temiscaming joins the GMHL this season and has a record of 38 wins and 3 losses

from a players perspective....

John Sweet had 13 points in 11 games for Napanee this year which is 1.18 points per game (Jr.C)
John Sweet had 87 points in 31 games for Deseronto this year which is 2.8 points per game (Jr.A)

If your son is going to go anywhere in the GMHL, I would recommend South Muskoka. They run a good program and always have a sucessful team. From what I hear, they are one of the cheaper teams too.

(Login authur)

Thanks

No score for this post
April 23 2012, 9:12 AM 

Thank you for the info, it certainly helps clarify a few things. Yes you're right it is expensive around $8000 including billets, not sure why you have to pay??? Anyway thanks again it has certainly given us something to think about.

Anonymous
(Login Gazettesports)
Empire B Junior League

Re: Thanks

No score for this post
April 23 2012, 11:56 AM 

You have to pay because that's how the GMHL operates. It's part cash grab, part ponzi scheme.
Sure, the league attracts some good players, even a handful of decent ones that move on to the OHL or NCAA. And those guys likely don't pay a dime.
The stock of the league is built with two kinds of players:
1) Players that want to play "Jr. A" hockey even though the GMHL is far from that level. I guess if you pay enough money you can call yourself a Junior A hockey player.
2)Players with parents like yourself who aren't sure what they are getting into....
$8,000 a season? Run away as fast as you can. True Jr. A players are paying a $750 registration fee (some teams are paying this on the players behalf and getting all the gear including sticks.

Shoeless Joe
(Login Say_it_aint_so)

Re: Thanks

No score for this post
April 23 2012, 3:27 PM 

Actually with the contraction of the OJHL, and I can see the CCHL lose a couple of teams, this will make the Junior C level get better. Anyone who has seen the level of play of the Empire league from 3 to 4 years ago to now will agree, which will mean players who are on the bubble with a Junior A team would do better to play at the Junior C level and get the ice time rather than sitting on the bench all season.
The level of Junior C in the OHA is equivalent or better than the Junior B level in ODHA, so be careful of the designation.
I can see a day when NCAA D3 and ACHA D1 schools will be scouting Junior C for that player that comes in under the radar. To any parent, consider ACHA D1 schools, some those hockey programs are on par with many NCAA D3 programs. But when considering a school make sure they have an academic program that will fit your kid, they have to be ready for life after hockey.

Ken
(Login Kenadian)

GMHL v.s. NOJHL

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 24 2012, 12:12 AM 

Quote...."Temiscaming played in the NOJHL in 2010/2011 (some consider this a weak Jr.A league as well)"
Response...................the NOJHL Soo Thunderbirds are this years Dudley Hewitt cup winners beating out teams from the OJHL and the SIJHL

Quote.........."Temiscaming played in the NOJHL in 2010/2011 (some consider this a weak Jr.A league as well)

They had a 18 wins and 29 losses"

Response....Temiscaming started the 2010/11 year off well, even getting notice from the CJHL top 20 ranking. Around Christmas the ran into problems with players with some choosing to go to NCAA and some just leaving the team. In the latter part of the season they were lucky to be able to ice 13 skaters. Player recruitment for the Temiscaming team was difficult to say the least being a Quebec based team in an Ontario based league the had to deal with both Hockey Quebec and Hockey Ontario and a Restriction to recruiting players from the Northbay area imposed by the then Northbay Trapper owner. The Temiscaming Team had on it's roster the NOJHL 2010/11 league scoring leader.And 2 that placed in the top 10.

Quote..........."Temiscaming joins the GMHL this season and has a record of 38 wins and 3 losses" "There are maybe two teams in the GMHL that could survive in the OJHL and they are: South Muskoka, Sturgeon Falls"

Response.............Temiscaming had a better record than both teams you mentioned but didn't make your OJHL cut LOL. The Temiscaming team swept South Muskoka in the playoffs. They went on to Face the Sturgeon Falls team in the finals losing out in Game 6. 4 games to 2.
The NIJHL scoring leader from 2010/11 was a part of the 2011/12 Temiscaming team. Being in the GMHL left the Temiscaming team free to fill it's roster without the restrictions place on it by Hockey Canada, Hockey Ontario or Hockey Quebec.They were able to recruit players from all over Canada and Europe without worrying about import status (Ontario born players were considered imports if the played in Temiscaming

Quote..........."but at the rate the league actually advances kids to the next level, it is not worth the money."

Response........ 3 players from the 2011/12 Temiscaming GMHL team were invited to OHL camps. 1 player was invited to QMJHL camp. 2 players are moving on to play in Europe.

Quote.........."The level of play is certainly not at a Jr.A level. I have taken in Deseronto games in the GMHL"

Response..........How can you rate a leagues quality on one of it's weaker teams?

Estock
(Login Estock)

Ken

No score for this post
April 24 2012, 1:20 AM 

Congratulations to the NOJHL upon winning their first Dudley Hewitt Cup in 10 years. The weak OJHL has "only" won this chamionship 8 times over the same period. Look forward to your future contributions Ken.

(Login Desfan)

Re: Ken

No score for this post
April 24 2012, 5:29 PM 

Quote.........."The level of play is certainly not at a Jr.A level. I have taken in Deseronto games in the GMHL"

Response..........How can you rate a leagues quality on one of it's weaker teams?

One of the leagues weaker teams?

They were 7th place in a 13 team league and compiled a 23 - 17 - 3 record. So I would say they were average. Weak teams would have been Shelburne, Algoma and Bobcaygeon.

and when I am rating the leagues play, I am not only watching Deseronto play, I am also watching the teams they play and IMO most of the teams in the GMHL play at a level not even close to Jr.A.

Just because a few guys put a league together and decided to label it Jr.A does not mean the level of play is at that level

Anonymous
(Login fan17173030)

No score for this post
May 2 2012, 1:55 AM 

John sweet was realised and can play for Deseronto beacuse he did play for deseronto last season, Storm can have three 1991 birthdates but they had to play on the storm in the 2011/2012 season. john sweet did so yes he can play

GS
(Login Gazettesports)
Empire B Junior League

No score for this post
May 2 2012, 9:37 AM 

Uhh, no he can't.

The OHA won't approve him for this season because he bailed on the Raiders. As I understand it, the Raiders have confirmation on this because they weren't going to release his card at the deadline but had assurances from the OHA that Sweet wouldn't be allowed to play on another OHA team in 2012-13....

Anonymous
(Login fan17173030)

No score for this post
May 6 2012, 7:31 PM 

it is approved John sweet can sign in Deseronto no questions asked, he will be playing for them this upcoming season

Adam Bull
(Login AdamBull)

No score for this post
May 8 2012, 7:46 PM 

And your source is?

The only way Sweet will play in this league this year will be by coughing up cash to Napanee and im sure it wont be cheap as Napanee would of for sure kept sweet carded all year if they knew Deseronto was applying and if they did they would control Sweets rights in this league.

Napanee can always appeal if sweet is allowed to play this year without compensation

(Login AdamBull)

No score for this post
May 8 2012, 7:48 PM 

Also i think we are all making a huge deal over something that's Napanee/Deseronto related he was not an impact player for the few games he played last season in this league

BeaverSports
(Login BeaverSports)
Empire B Junior League

No score for this post
May 8 2012, 8:24 PM 

I would disagree with the notion that Sweet wasn't an impact player for us last year. He was our second leading scorer and possibly the best natural finisher on our team when he left. Yes, he was more of a points guy in the GMHL than in our league, however he was still a valuable piece we struggled to replace.

Anonymous
(Login ppfan99)

No score for this post
May 8 2012, 8:25 PM 

also i think the overage rule that he needs to be signed with that team for the previous year only applies to oha teams not outlaw teams.

Estock
(Login Estock)

Overagers

No score for this post
May 8 2012, 8:55 PM 

I think the key here is to find out how the Clarington Eagles were allowed overagers this past season when the team didn't even exist the year prior. The reasoning may be the same.

Anonymous
(Login MikeCasselman20)

No score for this post
May 8 2012, 9:17 PM 

As I am no longer involved in the league I am free to voice my opinion, as most of the time I never have been shy, just not on a public form. But, I have wanted to comment on this for the past season. My personal opinion is that there is no way John Sweet should play in the league this year based on the rules set forth by the OHA. Hey, I don't blame Deseronto if they can get there approval to have him play. But I will say this, as I no longer have to have to be polital about it, he left as a 20 year old and we were abiding by the rules to have him on our roster prior to turning 21. He left, and he left very respectfully and I still think the world of the player and the person. He was a great team player and great kid to the coaching staff. The bottom line came to the fact that Deseronto was all over him during the season and if this had of been an OHA regulated case because the Junior "ZZ", sorry Junior "A", league is not recognized by the OHA, I would have personnally rung them up on tampering, but I have a feeling Adam would have done it before I would have had time to suggest it. League rules permit players coming and going during the offseason between the Junior C loops and the Metro league, however this is where the OHA fail the entire province by not recognizing them as a competing loop during the season. They were all over him from puck drop. The had the right to come after any of our players during the offseason. But because the OHA does not want recognize or give them credit, hey they get players to play there and pay big money to do it, they can take players all year long from our league but we can't take players from their league during the season. There is some talent in that league and for ice time based on what you pay there is no better option. But lets be honest this is a kid that almost had four points a game and didn't have one a game in our league. That is the calibre, as most of the players get cut from Picton, Napanee and Campbellford before going there. There are players that can play in this league. The Anderson kid, who was an overage kid last year could have played and I would have taken the Maracle kid has his dad not saved the team last year, as I felt he could have contributed. At the end of the day John Sweet was an impact player for us, his goals per game would have been close to the league lead at the end of the year and may have been the top goal scorer based on the ice time he would have had based on our injury situation if he stuck around all year. Prior to him leaving we did have a first place game with Picton, we lost he left shortly after and two weeks later we were in the basement and losing 3 of our top four scorers with separated shoulders at the same time did not help either. For people in the organization they are fully aware that was no coincidence that him leaving had an affect on our team. I have nothing but respect for John, he is a great kid and left for valid reasons, he wanted to skate everyday and play with his friends, no matter what people say, I think he felt he abandoned his previous team, but the biggest thing for him, was skating everyday, which we can not offer. We did not keep his card because we were told no other team in the league could sign him this year. If he can play, there is absolutely no reason, that Murray Hodgson and Ryan Uens would not be eligle to play for Napanee, and lookout people Uens is as tough as he is advertised. I was not happy about him leaving but I understood and spoke with John as recently as yesterday and he is still the great kid, but this is about the rules that every other team in the league has to follow. That is just my opinion and based on my knowledge of the actual situation from what transpired last year.

Anonymous
(Login BeaverSports)
Empire B Junior League

No score for this post
May 25 2012, 2:48 PM 

We've been notified the OHA board did formally approve the Deseronto application Wednesday. Welcome to the league guys.

Current Topic - Deseronto approved
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index