micro/immuno

behavior

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
$^#*(Q()&$(Q#$^????
(no login)

when do you take pharm?

May 3 2000, 9:55 PM 

When do you take pharm? Also, when do you learn for BLS and especially ACLS?

Respond to this message   
3rd semester
(no login)

pharm in 4th semester

May 3 2000, 10:49 PM 

we will have pharm, pathII, and ICM in 4th semester...BLS and ACLS im not sure.

Respond to this message   
Nitediver
(no login)

ACLS & BLS

May 4 2000, 2:07 AM 

As far as I know, the above 2 courses mentioned above were not part of the curriculum (unless they have been added to the curriculum). You pretty much have to take these courses, rather just the ACLS on your own.

Nitediver

Respond to this message   
Jason
(no login)

ACLS

May 4 2000, 2:23 AM 

hi $^#*(Q()&$(Q#$^???? you will get plenty of opertunities to get ACLS in the clinical rotations, most hospitals in any city will rotate the classes every 2 months at a different area hospital, It is an all day class, and must be BLS first, try to get the health care BLS before you come and the just recert during clinicals folowed by the ACLS class. Dont forget about ATLS advanced trauma life support, learn about chest tubes and the like. Not too sure about the avalibility of that one in smaller communities

Respond to this message   
3rd semester
(no login)

what are...

May 4 2000, 10:55 AM 

what are ACLS & BLS?

Respond to this message   
Dave L.
(no login)

Advanced Cardiac Life Support & Basic Life Support (CPR)

May 4 2000, 12:41 PM 

Rookie.

Respond to this message   
$^#*(Q()&$(Q#$^????
(no login)

Oh yeah . . .

May 4 2000, 1:24 PM 

Jason,

I figured as much . . . I'm a BLS instructor, but wanted to know if Ross pays for the ACLS as well as ATLS (forgot that one) courses during clinical, or if it comes out of our pockets. I know at US med schools their folks teah them, hence was wondering if Ross had something like that or as aforementioned, it something that the student is expected to do him/herself. Thanks for the reply though.

Respond to this message   
Nitediver
(no login)

It's all yours

May 5 2000, 12:33 AM 

As far as I know, Ross does not pay nor reimburse you for those classes.

Nitediver

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

You are correct it was included in my tuition in the US.

May 5 2000, 12:49 AM 

We took it during my Medicine rotation- ACLS, and BLS during orientation and again with the ACLS course during third. I have some friends that did it during fourth year and it was paid for by their school. In the US I think all the schools pay for it or include it. All that I have heard about anyway. I would recommend taking it during fourth if you have to. When I had ACLS, I had no clue about the dosages or half the stuff because it was so early in my third year. I forgot just about all of it in a day and had to retake it later anyway. 1st year Residency programs offer it during orientation as well. So you could hold off until then. I don't know what percentage pays for it. I believe a lot do though. It is not that important to have since no one is going to let you run a code anyway. All the codes I was in on had more than 6-10 people in the room standing around watching. It was tough to even see, unless it happened at Dialysis or in the CCU where there was more room.
I can only guess by all the talk at Ross that clearly they would not be paying for anything extra. As nitediver said, you are on your own. I don't think you really need it though until Sub I or Residency. Not totally sure though, No one asked me if I had it until Residency. But that could just be because we all had to take it during third so they knew already.

Best of luck

Respond to this message   
Just another face
(no login)

Untitled

May 7 2000, 6:57 PM 

Not every US school pays for acls and pals and atls. I know that I have to go to my residency early to take the tests, but I don't have to pay for the classes? I don't think any resident has to pay, but if they do, sucks for them.

Respond to this message   
Jason
(no login)

HMMM

May 5 2000, 3:42 AM 

Well now I understand. And I have no idea if they pay for it or not. I have both from working in health care, and the hospital pays for it. but I will have to re-certify before my education at Ross is over, i start in aug. Maybe you can just find an attending that is teaching the next class or a segment and maybe he/she can hook you up (in clinicals). But as replied by the other gentlemen you will probably not really need it until residency. Although it is nice to know what is going on. When you do get there try and jump in there and if your Sr. or R1 is involved see if you can intubate or talk you through the whole thing (but dont get in anyones way). They will give you answers to good pimping questions asked by attendings and other residents. well good luck maybe i'll see you on the ROCK

Respond to this message   
Dominicanightmare
(no login)

I think it depends on where you are doing clinicals

May 5 2000, 10:20 AM 

Mine was paid for by Ross, but indirectly I guess. At Kern county medical students are welcome to do it and the education department uses part of our tuition they receive from Ross to cover it. I took it at the start of my 4th year and now I dont have to worry about it going into residency.

Good luck.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Medical SchoolCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Locate IP address :

or