<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Lazy, Vindictive, Nasty Employees of Ross

October 19 2000 at 10:42 AM
student  (no login)
from IP address 140.251.171.45

Currently applying for the 2001 match.

Met all the deadlines, but am now being told by Carol Jimenez that since I didn't get my info in well BEFORE the deadline, my Dean's letter still isn't ready. Why do they call it a deadline then? They tell me they'll have it by Nov 1. But all the U.S. students and anyone who goes to a med school where the Dean's office gives a sh*t will have theirs into ERAS before Nov 1 and released to programs on Nov 1.

Yet another example of how little Ross University cares about its students and how driven by greed the school is.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Untitled

October 19 2000, 4:56 PM 

Get used to it. It wont get any better. Did you look at st. geeorges or AUC? The interview at ross is a mere formality. Pretty much a waste of time from what i have heard.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Uh, Hello!!!!!!

October 20 2000, 2:28 PM 

Excuse me, but if you knew anything about the US med system you would also know that there is a date that exists (last year it was Nov 15th) that the US schools are not allowed to release their deans letters before....so before you committ hari-curi....understand that you are not being disadvantaged in this respect.

Also for all you people that believe that the US system is far superior to Ross.....well dont expect much out of your residency, you will only be frustrated when you learn that the same things that frustrated you with ross, exist in the US medical system as well.

Respond to this message   
student
(no login)

Untitled

October 27 2000, 8:54 AM 

I am almost finished with the hellish Ross experience. It's totally laughable that you could even imagine that the administrations at U.S. medical schools are even nearly as incompetent, uncaring, vindictive, and lazy as they are at Ross.

I have heard stories about Ross losing USMLE applications, mis-crediting tuition payments, and arbitrarily failing students from clerkships when the program directors at the hospitals had passed them. And when these mistakes and sometimes knowing acts of wanton cruelty are brought to the attention of the Nancy Perris and Carol Jimenezs, the mistake is somehow made to be your fault or if acknowledged to be the fault of the school, no particular efforts are made to fix it unless you put forth countless emails, letters, faxes, and personal appearances.

I knew going into it that the Ross degree would be tainted. FMGs just don't have the same opportunities that US grads do. You can get 3000 on Step I and Step II, and you won't be getting any offers from Mass General. I was able to deal with that.

I had no idea I would run into such nasty, petty, officious people in the Ross administration who would throw up road blocks to my pursuit of a career in medicine at every opportunity and seem to relish in my having to struggle to surmount them. I naively thought that since the school was for-profit and really should answer only to its revenue source, the students, that it might be more flexible and less beaurocratic than U.S. schools.

To anyone who is considering going to Ross. DON'T. There may be some people who say they had a good experience, but I have been there and am graduating this year, and of the people I know from Ross more than 3/4ths of them would not do it again. Med school is tough and applying for residency as a foreign grad is even tougher, you want to be somewhere where the school works with you, not against you. Wait another year and apply again to U.S. schools. Most people take 5 years to finish Ross anyway, because the way they schedule your clinicals (I did it in 4 BTW) If that fails and you're still hellbent on being a doctor (when there are a lot of other satisfying careers out there) go to St. George's or another Caribbean school where they're more student-friendly.

This is not from someone who has failed at Ross BTW. I never have gotten below a B and broke 90 on Steps I and II. Having to fight the administration at every point, from scheduling rotations, taking Step II early, to getting my ERAS application done on time, has just made me want to warn people how difficult the Ross administration makes it to be successful.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Thanks for saying what so many are feeling.

October 27 2000, 10:36 AM 

It is difficult to have courage in the face of such corrupt intimidators, like our favorite N.S. Speak your mind and when you start Residency don't stop talking about what they did. Many would just rather keep all this quite and forget about what happened on the island, but people need to know, and they eventually will. Don't let this happen to thousands more Americans lured into thinking they will get a responsible education in the Caribbean. People need to know just how bad it can be for students at any school down here.

True St Georges most notable exception.

Respond to this message   
Nitediver
(no login)

Just to quote you...

October 27 2000, 11:53 PM 

You mentioned, "Don't let this happen to thousands more Americans lured into thinking they will get a responsible education in the Caribbean." Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the person you are responding to, said he got 90's in Step I and II. To me that sounds like he did pretty well.

Now I've had my own problems with Ross and even just recently concerning the Dean's Letter (i.e. they had lost my request and questionaire), but at this point I'm just waiting to finish, get my M.D. and never have to worry about Ross ever. That doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend other people to go to Ross, the education itself is not bad at all, people are receiving a good education, I think the USMLE scores speak for themselves. People just need to know the difference between the education and administration. Anyways, don't bash the whole school for the deliquencies of the administration.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Like I said.......

October 27 2000, 2:18 PM 

I am with you, Ross sucked and after obtaining a residency in the US I took a sigh of relief.....only to find the exact problems you have described about ross, exist in the US!!!!!

I did an inpatient medicine rotation with a Doctor who graduated from a US school, she erroniously told people that she was going to leave the program after her first year and do general practice....so they made her repeat her inpatient medicine 4 times on the basis that they did not feel that she was prepared to enter a general practice......its not the residency programs job to decide that, they promote to an R2 spot and if the R2 wants to leave after getting her licence then so be it. I even heard the program director talking to other attendings about the issue, he said "well at least we got our monies worth!" and then he laughed.

Good luck at chasing the gold at the end of the rainbow!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Medical SchoolCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Locate IP address :

or