<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>HOME  

epsdisk.exe used to work, but now it does not! WHY?

October 2 2006 at 5:23 PM
Anonymous  (no login)

Has anyone else encountered this problem:

For years I used epsdisk.exe in DOS to extract ASR-10 instruments to .efe format.

I fully aware of the File Type #6 command, and so on.

Today I thought I'd try it again and suddenly it won't extract instruments properly. The diskette spins for a few seconds, then the program stops extracting. Anyone know why?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Michael Chipps
(no login)

Are you in DOS?

October 2 2006, 6:19 PM 

Are you in a pure DOS environment, or are you running it in a DOS window in your windows operating system? You can't use it in todays Windows XP.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Are you in DOS?

October 2 2006, 7:10 PM 

Michael,

You hit the nail on the head: I'm using the Windows XP DOS prompt

Is there any way to get epdisk working on Windows XP?

Or, are there any alternatives to epsdisk?

Respond to this message   
Michael Chipps
(no login)

Here's your way around it....

October 2 2006, 10:39 PM 

Ok....The DOS program EPSDISK.exe was written long before todays windows operating systems. That's why it gives you problems, but I'm here to help you!

First, place a floppy disk in your A: drive (one that you don't care gets erased) and open WINDOWS EXPLORER and LEFT CLICK on MY COMPUTER. Then RIGHT CLICK on your A: drive and select FORMAT DISK. Now check the box next to CREATE AN MS-DOS STARTUP DISK, and click START.

This will create a BOOT DISK which will put you in a PURE DOS environment where you can use EPSDISK without any problems.

HOWEVER.....Windows XP uses a file format system which DOS will NOT recogzine. So, a few additional steps are gonna be necessary.
Open WINDOWS EXPLORER and LEFT CLICK on MY COMPUTER. Then RIGHT CLICK on your C: drive, then click properties. In the properties window you'll notice for FILE SYSTEM it will most likely say NTFS. This file system is NOT recognizable by DOS. If you have additional hard drives or partitions, check their properties to see if any of them are useing the FAT (or FAT32) file system. The FAT files system IS recognized and used by DOS.

If you need to, you can create a partition on one of your hard drives and when you format it, it will give you the option to choose which file system you would like it to use. Choose the FAT (or FAT32).

Now if you only have 1 drive formated using the FAT system, no matter what drive letter it uses in windows, it will ALWAYS be drive C: in DOS, becuase that is the only drive DOS will recognize. It won't see the windows drives formated using the NTFS file system.

So, after you find or create a FAT partition on one of your hard drives, you must copy ALL the programs you want to access from DOS to that drive. And I'm sure you know this, but make sure any files you're gonna use with EPSDISK.exe are in the SAME directory as the EPSDISK.exe program.

Have fun, and I hope this wasn't too confusing to you. If you need any additional help just respond here again. I check this forum on a daily basis.

-Michael

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login LouSega)

Re: Here's your way around it....

October 3 2006, 3:41 AM 

epsdisk and ede work prefectly in win98 too...

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Here's your way around it....

October 3 2006, 9:45 PM 

Michael Chipps, you absolutely rule!

I'm going to print out your comments and give it a try this weekend.

Can I ask where you acquired your knowledge?

Respond to this message   
Michael Chipps
(no login)

You're too kind! Hehe

October 7 2006, 1:11 AM 

Just years of trial and error, and messing around till I find what works. I have a good friend who's very smart with computers, and he helps ME when I'M stuck. Hehe. Now YOU can pass the knowledge onto YOUR friends. It's just one big circle buddy. We're all trying to help each other.

Michael Chipps

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: epsdisk.exe used to work, but now it does not! WHY?

November 10 2006, 11:59 AM 

Dear Michael,

I've been extremely busy lately so I haven't gotten around to trying your method.

Quick, rather dumb, question: If I make a boot diskette and put epsdisk.exe on it, can I boot up with it, run epsdisk off the diskette at the a: prompt, then extract files from ASR-10?

My haunch is that the answer is NO, because there is nowhere to extract the files TO. Correct?

P.S. I ask because I've never partitioned a drive before, and from what I've read I will have to wipe out my c: drive in the process, so I'm reluctant to go that route!

Respond to this message   
Jarmo
(Login jarmo06)

November 11 2006, 2:34 PM 

If you don't have any partitions to format, find a small old hard drive. But you do need another drive besides the floppy drive.

Respond to this message   
Robert
(Login mrhodges2)

Epsdisk workaround

November 27 2006, 4:06 AM 

As a side note, You can use epsdisk in XP to do some tasks. For instance, I use dos to retrieve a floppy image for backup or to extract the individual sound (efe, efa) files. Once you've done that, you can work with them in a folder in the Windows environment so you can more easily keep track of what you're working with and for archive purposes. When you're ready to make a disk copy write the efe/efa files you want to a GKH, drag and drop them to the external drive then reboot in dos and copy the gkh to floppy. For anyone that's interested, I've created a boot CD that I use to back up my hard drive to a ghost image using usb 2.0 and a external hard drive. I recently bought a ts-10 (for like the 10th time) I've been able to use the boot disk to run epsdisk with the external hard drive. To do it, you need a usb 2.0 adapter with an NEC chipset. It may work with others but so far has only recognized the NEC. Anyway if anyone is interested they can contact me via the forum.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

November 11 2006, 3:22 PM 

Okay.

Thanks for your response.

Respond to this message   
plamy
(Login plamy1969)

September 19 2016, 2:08 AM 

Long time ago I used epsdisk.exe 100% successfully with Win98. Now I use Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
I tried to use EPSDISK.exe from Win98bootdisk http://ensoniqsamplers.com/epsasr/033.html) without success.
I use a physical floppy drive (not external, not USB, etc.)!
Once my PC is booted with Win98 bootdisk, then I can run EPSDISK and even to use few commands: (F)ormat, (D)irectory. But whatever I do, I always get an error when trying to (C)opy or (W)rite.
Before booting to Win98, I copied an .GKH file on the same diskette, so that when I'm under Win98 boot, EPSDISK to see this file and to copy it to an ASR-10 formatted diskette. Did the same with .EFE file. No any success!!!
What am I doing wrong? Are gkh or efe files copied to the virtual RAM that Win98bootdisk created? Once EPSDISK is started, how to make it see and recognize the files that need to be written to the ASR formatted diskette? I use (T)ype 3, or maybe have to use other type?
I read EPSDISK ReadMe.txt too many times and I really don't see what is wrong.
Please, anyone, explain step-by-step what and how to do, so that .GKH and .EFE files can be copied/written do ASR formatted diskette once EPSDISK runs under Win98bootdisk! Do I need to put the GKH and EFE files in a special directory? I put them in the Win98bootdisk diskette. Or do I need some special DOS command?
Big thanks in advance!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>HOME  
Find more forums on MusiciansCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement