<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>HOME  

Sigh... File Op Error Num= 040 (and other specific observations)

December 5 2016 at 9:16 PM
brickmaj  (Login brickmaj)

I really tried to google the hell out of this issue. I have the service manual and I have read nearly every thread on this website about it. I understand that the SM says this is a "Bad ESP Error" and says problem is on the digital board and to replace the entire thing. I am hoping to narrow it down a little more than that.

I noticed a little more nuance in my symptoms, shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za5DorwLbFA&feature=youtu.be

The screen seems to flicker every 2 to 3 seconds after initially turning it on. Can this suggest a power issue?

I took the back cover off and found the following: (1) there may be a single pin missing from the data ribbon jack on the back of the disk drive. Not sure if it's meant to be like this. And (2) there are some suspicious looking jumper wires and frankenstein ICs soldered to the main board. See photos:

http://imgur.com/a/xe6IH

Things I've tried already:
1. spraying inside the disk drive with canned air.
2. re-seating everything that can be reseated (ribbons, chips, simms).

Next steps:
1. check PS voltages
2. make/order new OS disk (It was given to me, someone made it recently and I don't think this is the issue but may give it a shot)

If any of these symptoms or observations mean anything to someone I would appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
dave
(no login)

Re: Sigh... File Op Error Num= 040 (and other specific observations)

December 15 2016, 5:57 PM 

I responded to your youtube but i didn't read this whole post til now.

Check the Youtube reply and we can go from there.

Those wires are modifications made to your main board as something went wrong earlier in the machine's life and it was fixed. There are only a handful of people that can do that and i only know one. Don't worry about it, it is fine.

Look at the 2 things i suggested and we can go from there.
Again, i will look at my notes and see if i have a clear answer to your problem but those things come to mind.

hope this helps.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>HOME  
Find more forums on MusiciansCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement