<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>HOME  

ASR-10 refurb questions

January 23 2017 at 11:20 AM
maru859  (Login maru859)

I have an ASR-10 I bought off ebay a while back. It has some issues and I want to see what I might be in for if I decide to refurb this. The goal is to fix some cosmetics issues and more importantly make it 100% functional again. I have the PDF of the repair manual but I am not very technically inclined so there is some hesitation to do major surgery.

I appreciate any thoughts on the issues below.

Issue 1: No midi

I cannot get the unit to send or receive midi. It fails the midi loop test every time. I think that can be fixed by replacing the digital board. Does that sound about right?

Issue 2: A couple of the yellow/red lights on the display board do not all light up. I think 2 are down. Do I have to replace the entire display unit to fix?

Issue 3: Stickers...grrrr..I hate stickers on my gear but the guy has a couple that I want to remove. Any tricks for removing the stickers without ruining the paint?

There are a few other things but I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts about these issues. I want to love this board (I had a very clean one back in the 90s but) but this one is in rough shape.

Thanks.

m

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mark
(Login Mrksmrk8)

Refurb questions

May 3 2017, 10:11 AM 

I was thinking the service manual refers to midi problems. You could replace the digital board, not sure the problem would be confined to that board. I hate replacing stuff that is still good. Are you referring to the yellow/red leds that are the sample loaded and select buttons? Pretty sure they are soldered to the display board. Unless you are good with small solder connections, it would be easier to replace the board. You have to pull it out to solder anyway, if you chose to do that instead. It may sound funny, but Avon Skin-so-Soft, works good with removing paint from hands, adhesives, etc. It is mineral spirits-based, and I have found it works without damaging original paint, at least on my ASR-10. It leaves somewhat of a glossy/oil-like residue, which you can remove with a soapy/damp rag, but don't let any liquids get inside.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>HOME  
Find more forums on MusiciansCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement