Figured this would make a good Wiggum Weekender. Yeah, I know there are flaws with the kit, but I'm going for the 80% solution with this. I've been finding lately that my build process has become too involved for the limited bench time I have available, and as a result, my paint finishing skills have degraded.
So, if you haven't built a trumpeter kit released in the last few years, they have improved their fit and detail a fair bit.
I got this far after two hours. I would have pressed on, but I needed the hull halves to set up before sanding:
I've said before that the ride height looks wonky somehow, but when I compare to the Italeri kit + MLM wheels, it looks OK. Not sure what it is about the trump kit that makes me feel something's off.
The oversized grill flange got hit with a metal file. I don't think there is supposed to be any flange, but I did not want to risk nicking the louvered parts with the file.
Suitably busy front suspension. The only bits that do not fit are the drive axles, and that applies to all 6 stations. They wanted to give a negative camber to all the wheels. I just snipped em back. Sharp eyed modellers will not that this is the less common Front Wheel drive version of the Cougar
.015 strip shim to fill the gap in the coffin bin. Rest of the turret fit OK, but , sprue tabs in the middle of weld seams...Tamiya would not do it that way.
Hull seam not too shabby. The sanding process will probably obliterate the moulded on 'loops', already I sense that if they get sanded off, the OTB mantra will be challenged by some bent copper wire.