Return to Index  

Trumpeter Cougar OTB Speed Build

December 16 2011 at 12:05 PM

(Login gcdavidson)
from IP address 131.137.245.208

Figured this would make a good Wiggum Weekender. Yeah, I know there are flaws with the kit, but I'm going for the 80% solution with this. I've been finding lately that my build process has become too involved for the limited bench time I have available, and as a result, my paint finishing skills have degraded.

So, if you haven't built a trumpeter kit released in the last few years, they have improved their fit and detail a fair bit.

I got this far after two hours. I would have pressed on, but I needed the hull halves to set up before sanding:
[linked image]

I've said before that the ride height looks wonky somehow, but when I compare to the Italeri kit + MLM wheels, it looks OK. Not sure what it is about the trump kit that makes me feel something's off.
[linked image]

The oversized grill flange got hit with a metal file. I don't think there is supposed to be any flange, but I did not want to risk nicking the louvered parts with the file.
[linked image]

Suitably busy front suspension. The only bits that do not fit are the drive axles, and that applies to all 6 stations. They wanted to give a negative camber to all the wheels. I just snipped em back. Sharp eyed modellers will not that this is the less common Front Wheel drive version of the Cougar
[linked image]

.015 strip shim to fill the gap in the coffin bin. Rest of the turret fit OK, but , sprue tabs in the middle of weld seams...Tamiya would not do it that way.
[linked image]

Hull seam not too shabby. The sanding process will probably obliterate the moulded on 'loops', already I sense that if they get sanded off, the OTB mantra will be challenged by some bent copper wire.
[linked image]

GD

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Good Build - Jason Bobrowich on Dec 17, 12:01 AM
  3. No engine? - Alan Balfour on Dec 17, 11:14 AM
    1. I *thought* the real ones had a boat rake to them? - Graeme Davidson on Dec 17, 12:12 PM
      1. Boats - Jason Bobrowich on Dec 17, 1:37 PM

4. Pretty much ready for paint after ~7 hours - Graeme on Dec 18, 1:22 AM
    1. Time Well Spent - Jason Bobrowich on Dec 18, 11:34 AM
    2. Looks good - Rob Feehan on Dec 18, 6:23 PM
      1. paint scheme - Graeme Davidson on Dec 18, 7:24 PM
        1. White or White - Jason Bobrowich on Dec 18, 9:44 PM

5. Base coat on - Graeme on Dec 23, 8:34 PM
    1. Turret - Jason Bobrowich on Jan 3, 8:23 PM

6. Booourns // Question on what can a Husky tow - Graeme Davidson on Jan 22, 4:27 PM
    1. Re: Booourns // Question on what can a Husky tow - Bertie Baumgartner on Jan 22, 8:57 PM
    2. Re: Booourns // Question on what can a Husky tow - Rick Saucier on Jan 22, 9:17 PM
      1. I s'pose a pic is too much to ask - Graeme Davidson on Jan 23, 7:05 PM
    3. AU Peacekeepers - Cam Scott on Jan 23, 12:31 PM
      1. Destroyed AVGPs - Jason Bobrowich on Jan 23, 3:25 PM
        1. thanks guys - Graeme Davidson on Jan 23, 3:44 PM
          1. Hey Graeme - Mark Minnis on Jan 26, 2:31 PM
            1. hah - Graeme on Jan 26, 4:47 PM
              1. Nope, ........Ex-Strathcona - Anthony Sewards on Jan 27, 8:41 AM
              2. I was THere - Paul Turmel on Jun 9, 1:54 PM

7. Back on track - Graeme Davidson on Mar 25, 2:03 PM
    1. Weight of Cougar - Christopher on Oct 8, 9:20 AM
    2. Nice build and a question - Mike Durand on Oct 14, 3:25 PM
      1. Uparmouring - Jason Bobrowich on Oct 14, 3:47 PM
        1. Thanks. LAST eh. won't that be fun in 1/72! - mike Durand on Oct 14, 6:44 PM
      2. Add on Armour - Anthony Sewards on Oct 14, 10:42 PM
        1. Trial Vehicle? - Jason Bobrowich on Oct 14, 11:34 PM
        2. 10 Cougars - Anthony Sewards on Oct 18, 9:21 AM
          1. Cougar Up-Armouring - Jason Bobrowich on Oct 18, 10:15 AM
          2. Armour Locations? - Jason Bobrowich on Oct 18, 4:07 PM