<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Grizzly Turrent

January 21 2002 at 11:21 AM
Donald wood  (no login)
from IP address 142.176.41.191

The Grizzly turrent is the same one manufactured by Cadillac/Gage for the V100/V150 Commando series of armoured (not armored) cars. It is available as a set of early M113 ACAV style turrents from an OOP Verlinden kit. It was also supplied with the Verlinden V150. This would be a good reference start for a new master for MLM to do for us Canucks.

Regards
Don

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

JP Morgan
(Login MapleLeafModels)
Owner

Grizzly Turret

January 25 2002, 8:57 PM 

Actually, although the Grizzly turret is a Cadillac-Gage design, it is not the same turret as installed on the V150 or the AAVTP 7, and therefore the VP set is not as applicable as originally thought. Some time ago I had attempted to modify one to create a Grizzly turret, but gave up and scratchbuilt one instead.

As for using the VP product to create an MLM master, I can definitely say that this will not happen for 3 reasons: 1. the accuracy issue mentioned earlier, 2. when MLM gets around to doing a Grizzly turret, it is envisioned to be somewhat more versatile than the solidly cast VP offering, and 3. ethics. Unfortunately, I cannot speculate on when this envisioned Grizzly / M113A3 / MTVE turret will be available.

Cheers,
JP

(Remove 'TAKEOUT' to reply)

Respond to this message   
Todd Miller
(Login Armydude)

Grtizzly Turret

October 22 2012, 7:15 PM 

Ahh come on JP, just make the leap. I am more than willing to add whatever service I can to the flag, to make this come to fruition. We have the Trumpeter Grizzly now, so what is stopping you. I have not had the chance to obtain a Trump Grizz, so I dont even know if it includes the Crew basket internals. But hey I'll use it for my MTVE reguardless and make mods accordingly. Armydude out

This message has been edited by Armydude from IP address 98.174.213.131 on Oct 22, 2012 7:15 PM

Respond to this message   

JP Morgan
(Login MapleLeafModels)
Owner

'Make the leap'?

October 25 2012, 10:27 PM 

To where... back into business?? MLM has been inactive for over 3 years now due to other commitments, etc.

MTVE? Post a pic - it would be cool to see. I wonder though if you'll want your hard work to create an MTVE tainted slightly by the Trumpeter Grizzly turret, but let us know what you think when you get one.

Respond to this message   
todd miller
(no login)

RE: Leap to Where

October 26 2012, 12:30 AM 

JP
I stand informed of MLM's current status. I was not aware, but respect your needs
of other commitments.
I have been collecting any info on both the SEV & MTVE, that I can get my hands on
since 2003. Jim Carswell was nice enough to post mail some material on the SEV in
2004. These 2 vehicles have been simmering on my "To Do" list since 2005. The only
parts of the build keeping me from starting was the turret and the Auger. Both of
which, are major parts of the vehicle. (As you're aware) Now, I thought that pursuing the knowledge of a Canadian was the best way to attempt this build., That's why I registered with this forum in 05'. (Go to the source).
I considered getting the turret from an APVS7 UGWS, but you & I both know, that
turret and the Grizzly turret are similar but not the same. Teleport to 2011 with
the manufacture of Trumpeter's Grizzly. I'm thinking great.... one problem solved,
bear in mind, I don't have one in my possession yet. I take from your comments it's not too good? And I'm willing to bet it doesn't have the crew basket either.
Well I can overcome that shortfall if needed, but it still leaves the Auger issue.
This is what I've been thinking, to clear that hurdle. I'm asking your input and model skill here. Use a steel concrete mason screw, close to the diameter of the
finished auger in scale, turn said screw on a lathe, with the tool bed in free float, to follow the thread pitch of the screw. Turn it down till the center axis is
the diameter of the auger's shaft. Now I'm hoping, after doing this, the material
removed will leave the auger discs and center shaft once complete. Does that make
sense? The other option I considered was finding a scale diecast bobcat or other
type equipment with an Auger attachment already installed. No search luck so far!!!!

Respond to this message   
Jason Bobrowich
(no login)

Turret Options

October 26 2012, 8:21 AM 

If you are in need of an accurate Grizzly turret order the Best Value Models (Azimut Productions) Grizzly conversion from France. It has a good basic Grizzly turret.

If you want an updated turret that would be correct for the MTVE order the Best Value Models (Azimut Productions) Canadian M113A3 TLAV conversion. The turret is excellent.

Here's my TLAV...with One Metre Turret.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1221444827/Canadian+M113A3+TLAV

Respond to this message   

Graeme Davidson
(Login gcdavidson)

augers

October 26 2012, 9:07 AM 

Respond to this message   
Todd Miller
(Login Armydude)

RE: Augers

October 26 2012, 4:25 PM 

[linked image]

Graeme;
yes this is what I had found as well. the only issue becomes scale. I'm not sure what it's actual screw dimesion is. But Im sure that its a place to start maybe to adapt or modify as needed. Thanx for your input.
Todd

Respond to this message   
Jim Carswell
(Login leopardC2)

Augers pt.2

October 26 2012, 12:33 PM 

Since the subject has been brought up, anyone do or know someone who can make a 3D rendering? If we had a good 3D file it would be worth it to send in to one of those 3D printing services to make a set - I think it's the best medium right now. Would they be 8" and 10" diameter augers?

Jim

Respond to this message   
Todd Miller
(Login Armydude)

RE: Augers pt.2

October 26 2012, 3:49 PM 

Good day to you Sir,
I cannot confirm the size of the Augers, because I have not had access to a 1:1 SEV or MTVE. Now you Gentlemen from the GREAT WHITE NORTH do !!! My guess,
which of course is all speculation would be 8", But I have no idea.!! If you recall, we had communication on this (screw) in the earlier part of the century. In referance to an SEV build, I had planned. You sent me referance, materials to have an idea for interior layout. This Auger (PESKY RASCAL) has been the major stumbling block for completing an SEV or MTVE, for me going on
5 years now. I cant think of a way to even scratchbuild it. I have started to consider other means of approach. I am always open to other input and ideas.
Thanx for your response. I stay vigal in the goal at hand.
Todd

Respond to this message   
Jason Bobrowich
(no login)

Auger Details

October 27 2012, 3:13 PM 

What do you need with respect to the auger details in order to scratch one? I have an M113A2 SEV about 10 minutes from me.

Once the weather cooperates I can get some dimensional measurements and images for you.

Respond to this message   
Todd Miller
(no login)

Auger Screwed

October 27 2012, 4:40 PM 

Jason;
You are a Project saver. The Auger has been the only thing keeping Brakes on My SEV/MTVE build. The diameter of the screw, and length of each attachment (since there 2)from its attachment end too where it enters the drive motor for (1)and of course for the other just,
bore tip to attachment to other boring auger.I am guessing that with the diameter of the disc, I can 1/2 the distance for the center shaft. I have been thinking of ways to cut a piece of evergreen 1/2 the dia. width, heat it and bend it in an Arc around a center shaft,and glue it with AC as I move down its length. ??? Make sense?? Whatya think. I have (3) different walk arounds (2) SEV, (1) MTVE, but I have no roof layout shots of either vehicle. I think I'm good to go on, external 360', but the roof details are lacking, as well as interior. Any assistance in this area is greatly appreciated. my intent is to scratch the componants of this vehicle and share it w/ other SEV?MTVE armor fans. A BIG THNX, for all you do.
Todd

Respond to this message   

Graeme Davidson
(Login gcdavidson)

some ideas

October 28 2012, 12:35 AM 

Respond to this message   
Todd Miller
(no login)

Auger Fab

October 28 2012, 4:56 AM 

Graeme:
Hmm interesting fabrication. On a grander scale.So now we know how it's done 1:1

Respond to this message   

Graeme Davidson
(Login gcdavidson)

5 years later... Auger at Shapeways

March 29 2017, 2:10 PM 

Respond to this message   
Peter Hickey
(Login phickey)

I had always thought you could...

March 30 2017, 11:17 AM 

get away with a drywall screw or general purpose screw...the thread may not be exact but if you went with a course thread it should play out okay..Shapeways is always interesting though. I have a couple of things through them, Sherman stuff, it's okay, but just okay.

An interesting option though,

P

Respond to this message   
Todd Miller
(Login Armydude)

RE: TLAV

October 26 2012, 4:38 PM 

Jason:
Oddly enough, I have the BVM TLAV kit. I purchased it the minute I saw it's release. When opening the box, I was disstraught on the base kit they had chosen tho. They would have been better off to select an Academy series of M113. Not all is lost. My intention was to cast the turret, and use the new rubber track design to scratch build my own new tracks, that way I have multiple copies for additional "to do" projects. I wont give up on this venture.

In referance to your TLAV build:
I checked out your in-progress pics and your finished build as well. HANDS DOWN. Excellant build. Your execution was spot on. Loved the dusting and weathering applied. Nice touch w/ new aplique armor added.I have an avid interest in the M113 and what the Canadians have done to improve and alter it,is very interesting. Not to mention what it gives us ARMOR holics, projects to do and convert. Oh BTW, Im also purchasing the AFV issue that has your build article in it as well. Again OUSTANDING Gavin. Keep up the SUPPURB work.!!!
Todd

Respond to this message   
Jason Bobrowich
(no login)

Turret

October 26 2012, 5:13 PM 

Thanks for the compliments. I agree the Academy kit would have ben far superior as the base kit.

It appears from the TLAV and other LAV/AVGP conversions that Azimut struck a deal with Italeri/Revell-Germany for a ton of LAV 25 and M113 kits....so thus the reason for the mediocre base kits.

Hopefully some day someone will come out with a set of PE bar armour for the M113s.

Respond to this message   
Todd Miller
(Login Armydude)

BAR ARMOR

October 26 2012, 5:49 PM 

Jason:
LOL, Have you been peeking at my workbench. I have a PE kit & chemicals, and I'm working on the templates and forms for a complete Bar Armor kit, for the M113. I plan on using it for an ESV/M113 project Im building.
I'm doing the frames in PE, and plan on using brass rod for the rods. The
only concern I have...is if the Bar holes will show up(burn thru) during the
chemical bath process. Stay tuned. I've seen more than one mention of the Bar
Armor on people's wish lish.
Todd

Respond to this message   

Graeme Davidson
(Login gcdavidson)

pics?

October 26 2012, 9:48 PM 

curious to see the home-made PE process. I don't think I've ever seen it posted on a modelling forum, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested.

GD

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement