<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Trumpeter Cougar OTB Speed Build

December 16 2011 at 12:05 PM

Graeme Davidson  (Login gcdavidson)
from IP address 131.137.245.208

Figured this would make a good Wiggum Weekender. Yeah, I know there are flaws with the kit, but I'm going for the 80% solution with this. I've been finding lately that my build process has become too involved for the limited bench time I have available, and as a result, my paint finishing skills have degraded.

So, if you haven't built a trumpeter kit released in the last few years, they have improved their fit and detail a fair bit.

I got this far after two hours. I would have pressed on, but I needed the hull halves to set up before sanding:
[linked image]

I've said before that the ride height looks wonky somehow, but when I compare to the Italeri kit + MLM wheels, it looks OK. Not sure what it is about the trump kit that makes me feel something's off.
[linked image]

The oversized grill flange got hit with a metal file. I don't think there is supposed to be any flange, but I did not want to risk nicking the louvered parts with the file.
[linked image]

Suitably busy front suspension. The only bits that do not fit are the drive axles, and that applies to all 6 stations. They wanted to give a negative camber to all the wheels. I just snipped em back. Sharp eyed modellers will not that this is the less common Front Wheel drive version of the Cougar
[linked image]

.015 strip shim to fill the gap in the coffin bin. Rest of the turret fit OK, but , sprue tabs in the middle of weld seams...Tamiya would not do it that way.
[linked image]

Hull seam not too shabby. The sanding process will probably obliterate the moulded on 'loops', already I sense that if they get sanded off, the OTB mantra will be challenged by some bent copper wire.
[linked image]

GD

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jason Bobrowich
(no login)

Good Build

December 17 2011, 12:01 AM 

Good weekend project. The higher angle on the front suspension looks off to me. The AVGPs sat level...it almost looks like the front struts are too long and that has thrown off the level of the hull.

Respond to this message   
Alan Balfour
(no login)

No engine?

December 17 2011, 11:14 AM 

As happens too often, I wonder if the master was measured and built using a gate guard, sans engine, as a reference.

Respond to this message   

Graeme Davidson
(Login gcdavidson)

I *thought* the real ones had a boat rake to them?

December 17 2011, 12:12 PM 

Could just be my imagination, but I thought the real AVGP squatted on the rear, like a speedboat getting up to plane?

This message has been edited by gcdavidson from IP address 99.240.162.174 on Dec 17, 2011 12:12 PM

Respond to this message   
Jason Bobrowich
(no login)

Boats

December 17 2011, 1:37 PM 

For the most part they sat pretty level. The Husky did have a bit of a sag due to the superstructure and crane weight.

When the Cougars were combat loaded there was a slight rear sag but nothing really noticable. When the LAST package was attached it added weight to the rear of the vehicle too.

Varying tire pressures could account for an uneven look if the rear four were significantly lower.

Respond to this message   

Graeme
(Login gcdavidson)

Pretty much ready for paint after ~7 hours

December 18 2011, 1:22 AM 

Basically had it done in 5 hours, but then decided to add a bit of UNPROFOR character. Took some artistic license here & there. So, not straight from the box, but pretty close!

Here's what I added / modified
-filled hull locating slots for jerrycan brackets
-undercut kit supplied jerrycans in their mounts to make it look like separate parts
-added a coax MG from the AFV Club centurion
-found a spotlight from parts bin
-larger ammo cans (saw them used on Op DELIVERANCE Cougars, albeit on the side of the turret)
-Tow cable leads from M-113, tow cable from karaya, shackles from parts bin
-Tannoy reel from Challenger 1

Still need to add
-Antennas
-Lenses
-CFR plates
-Barrel cover

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

I decided to try the clear vision ports. The kit gives you the option of them or the grey styrene ones.
[linked image]

Marine drives were a bit fiddly. I used some pliers to gently twist the horizontal prop guard to make it match the angle of the upper prop shroud better. This is how the real one has it. I had to use CA on this assembly, and the parts are under tension.
[linked image]

GD

Respond to this message   
Jason Bobrowich
(no login)

Time Well Spent

December 18 2011, 11:34 AM 

Goods great GD. I've got a "nearly" OTB build for a early version Cougar in the works.

Respond to this message   

Rob Feehan
(Login rfeehan)

Looks good

December 18 2011, 6:23 PM 

I agree with you guys I was pretty sure all the Cougars I ever saw were basically level. Mind you I am no expert on the vehicle (or anything else for that matter). Your build looks great so far. What are your painting plans for it?

Respond to this message   
Graeme Davidson
(no login)

paint scheme

December 18 2011, 7:24 PM 

It's going to white, either Somalia or UNPROFOR.

Respond to this message   
Jason Bobrowich
(Login jasonbobro)

White or White

December 18 2011, 9:44 PM 

If you have a chance move the shovel to the right door and add the tank phone...then you'll be good for either Somalia or Bosnia.

Respond to this message   

Graeme
(Login gcdavidson)

Base coat on

December 23 2011, 8:34 PM 

I think I went through half a bottle of NATO Green today - basecoated this, a LAV-III, and a LAV-TUA

I'm going to try hairspray cheeeeps on this one, hence the green underwear before the U.N. White goes on. I've never tried this technique before. Its kind of nice to have a model to experiment on, that not too much time or money has been invested in its completion.

[linked image]

Guess who forgot to mask off all the clear episcopes?

[linked image]

GD

Respond to this message   
Jason Bobrowich
(no login)

Turret

January 3 2012, 8:23 PM 

Hey Graeme,

If you can...remove the grenade box on the left side of the turret. There was never a box mounted there.

The Trumpeter instructions are incorrect to show this box mounted.

Respond to this message   

Graeme Davidson
(Login gcdavidson)

Booourns // Question on what can a Husky tow

January 22 2012, 4:27 PM 

I wanted to try a method of chipping similar to hairspray. I've seen it done before to really good effect. Gloss coat the kit in future, and then use enamel paint to top coat it. Dipping the brush in thinner, the paint will gradually scrape away. Well, this didn't work out for me.

Sheets of paint coming off:

[linked image]

No worries. I'll just strip the kit, rinse it off, give it a dry, and re-spray. Hmm, I think my wife's hair dryer is hotter than I thought. Looks like the driver too a turn wide and pranged the marine drive. OK, I can still save this kit... I'll just scrape & rust it all up, and it will look like I meant it to be that way..

[linked image]

As the Sham-Wow guy says: "But wait, there's more!"

Seems the hair dryer also gave a bit of toe-in to one wheel:
[linked image]
[linked image]

I've got three COA's:
1. Chuck it
2. Make it into a burnt out wreck (did we loose any Cougars in Bosnia?)
3. Give my AVGP Husky something to tow...how would a husky tow a cougar with front end damage? Or would this be a job only for a wrecker?

GD

Respond to this message   
Bertie Baumgartner
(no login)

Re: Booourns // Question on what can a Husky tow

January 22 2012, 8:57 PM 

I remember seeing something about a Cougar sustaining some mine damage in Somalia, but I can't recall if they had the white U.N. paint.

Respond to this message   
Rick Saucier
(no login)

Re: Booourns // Question on what can a Husky tow

January 22 2012, 9:17 PM 

This is a Grizzly, but many vehicles suffered road accidents.

[img][linked image][/img]

If your towing with the Husky you would need the A-frame tow bar hooked to the pintle of the Husky to the front towing eyes of the Cougar and suspend the front end using the crane. This is against the rules but sometimes we had to do what had to be done.

cheers

Respond to this message   

Graeme Davidson
(Login gcdavidson)

I s'pose a pic is too much to ask

January 23 2012, 7:05 PM 

happy.gif I generally try not to provide photographic evidence of circumstances where 'do what had to be done' applied. Too many armchair critics!

I imagine the boom would be extended just enough for the chains (?) to be lined up vertically with the the front lifting eyes, and that the boom itself would be horizontal.

Were the A-frame bars a fixed length? Also, why are the called A frames - the ones I've seen look more like a V, in that there is no crossmember. Should there be one?

GD

Respond to this message   
Cam Scott
(no login)

AU Peacekeepers

January 23 2012, 12:31 PM 

I think that the AVGP's given to the African Union Peacekeepers have had a couple knocked out from RPG's. Not sure if they were Grizzly's or Cougars.

Respond to this message   
Jason Bobrowich
(no login)

Destroyed AVGPs

January 23 2012, 3:25 PM 

There were no AVGPS lost in Bosnia due to combat that I recall....a couple of Grizzlys stolen by the Serbs but none destroyed.

Both Cougars and Grizzlys had mine strikes in Somalia. As far as I know none were destroyed but they did have hull and suspension damage. They were all painted white.

I think there have been at least three African Union Grizzlys destroyed in combat...two destroyed from RPGs and one from ramming an enemy vehicle and then burning up. There are no African Union Cougars.

There were several Cougars and Grizzlys during UNPROFOR, IFOR, and SFOR that rolled during patrols.

Respond to this message   

Graeme Davidson
(Login gcdavidson)

thanks guys

January 23 2012, 3:44 PM 

I like Rick's description of a Husky towing the Cougar. Instead of a mine strike, I'll just write it off as a traffic accident or something.

Will probably have to be UNPROFOR, as I think the Husky did not go to Somalia?

GD

Respond to this message   
Mark Minnis
(Login markminnis)

Hey Graeme

January 26 2012, 2:31 PM 

There were Huskys is Somolia, Jeep sent me a pic with one towing a Cougar after a mine strike.

Mark

[linked image]

PS Nevermind that is a Bison isn't it!

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index