[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Well Done Sir

May 4 2012, 5:11 PM 

Ying your hard work has paid off....great set of images to show all your effort....too bad Trumpeter isn't paying attention!

Respond to this message   
Peter Hickey
(no login)

Wow, Thats a ton of work....

May 4 2012, 8:04 PM 

Thats going to look great when it's done, keep going.

Regards

Respond to this message   
Gary Gore
(Login nuke11)

Re: My Grizzly Build update Thanks Jason!

May 4 2012, 9:18 PM 

Excellent work!

I don't seem to remember the smoke launchers positioned for such a flat trajectory. What year is this turret from?

I seem to remember them being a bit more up so the grenades can be lobbed out and detonate about 6 meters above the ground at about 30 meters from the vehicle. I could be wrong, as I was only on the Grizzlies from 85 to 89-90.

Otherwise an excellent rebuild of the kit.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Grenade Discharger Angle

May 4 2012, 9:44 PM 

Good eye Gary...the placement of the launchers looks good but the angle of the mount is what needs to be modified to angle the tubes.

Here's some really good images of the Grizzlys provided to the African Union that show the grenade dischargers very well....click on each image to get a high res version.

http://bemil.chosun.com/nbrd/gallery/view.html?b_bbs_id=10044&pn=0&num=56035

Respond to this message   
Ying
(Login ylouie1)

Mid to late version turrets have the extreme angles

May 4 2012, 11:21 PM 

I checked some pics I took when I worked with them. I didn't find the extra bracket. After seeing that the angle addition seemed to appear in the addition with the night vision periscope. Please understand that I wanted to create the early version and in that area I didn't find the extra bracket. If you check most pics the extra bracket appears only with the thermal night vision sight in my investigation I couldn't find that. I'll see if I can include the pics that changed my mind.

Best regards Ying

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Angles

May 4 2012, 11:26 PM 

Ying,

Here's a link to some images of the original Grizzlys...the angle still exists on the launchers.

There is no thermal sight on the Grizzly...only image intensification.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/169232/thread/1334333745/Grissly+Winter+Camo--

Respond to this message   

(no login)

More Pics

May 4 2012, 11:32 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login ylouie1)

Early variant smoke discharger pics

May 5 2012, 12:53 AM 

Hello everyone
Sorry Jason, I wasn't around when they installed the image intensifier on the turret. I perceived it was thermal. From the pics you provided as well I see from the shadows and prominence that it shows what looks like a single smoke bracket mounting.
Just to help clarify the questions. In my search l have found mostly mid and late existing versions for reference. I have been really digging deeply to find references for the ORIGINAL EARLY VARIANT. I was lucky that I had some pics I managed to take when I served back in the 80's. The first photo is a mid/late version with the double bracket to agree with YOUR questions. The following pictures are of my fellow comrades who served with me in the AVGP, including myself in the crew commander hatch. If you please all look closely to the smoke brackets you will find just one single bracket on the early variant.

I hope this helps so you put this to your model which ever the version you wish to build.
Last part I need to mention is that the Trumpeter kit provides two smoke discharger mountings. These position the smoke dischargers in different angles. I found the ones not mentioned in the instructions more accurate to the angles for an early version...

Best regards Ying

This is the MID/LATE VERSION you are all agreeing. You can see the double brackets.
This is from the summer exercises in 1989. This is an early version, with the anti aircraft sight on the turret, with Sgt Reese in the crew commander hatch. You can see even with the shadows that this is one bracket.
This is from the summer exercises in 1988. This is an early version, again with the anti aircraft sight on the turret, with Lt. Hearns in the turret. Again looking at the shadows you can see one bracket mounting the smoke dischargers.
This was from the fall of 1987. This is an early version again, with myself in the crew commander hatch. At a photo this close you can see only one bracket mounting the smoke dischargers.

This message has been edited by ylouie1 from IP address 216.239.66.37 on May 5, 2012 1:01 AM

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Angle Issue

May 5 2012, 2:26 PM 

Ying,

You are totally correct with the brackets and mounts. To clarify it is the actual angel you have positioned the grenade discharger tubes that draws the attention. Your tubes appear to be without any angle thus giving the impression if the grenades were lauched they would fire straight out instead of upwards at an angle to give dispersion over a wider area and arc towards the ground.

Regardless of the type of single or double bracket the tubes still had an upwards angle and your don't appear to be in your images. If they do it is really hard to tell with the perspective of your images.

Respond to this message   
Ying Louie
(Login ylouie1)

Thanks I'll check

May 5 2012, 5:06 PM 

Thanks Jason
You guys had me scratching my head for a bit. I thought it was the bracket. Anyway I'm strapping the fuel Jerry's on the back today with wire and lead foil strip. I'm glad that AFV has the better looking head lights and fuel Jerry's. Thank you for the help, I can't wait to get to the paint.

Happy modeling all
Regards Ying

Respond to this message   

Graeme Davidson
(Login gcdavidson)

nicely done!

May 5 2012, 8:18 PM 

Yoikes, I didn't realize the trump kit needed that much work. Thanks for posting the WIP pics!

GD

Respond to this message   

(Login ylouie1)

Thank you Graeme

May 7 2012, 12:46 AM 

I am greatful, your past work has inspired me into this current build. I actually photographed your past work at the hobby shows, but never got to meet you. I do wish it was an easier build. After photographing the actual vehicle at CFB Borden, I found a lot of changes, I didn't want to ignore. I hope my project turns out after the painting. Your Grizzly in the winter camo was very inspirational.

Best regards Ying

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: Thank you Graeme

May 8 2012, 6:04 PM 

Awesome work! I did not realize it need that much correction, not even counting the detail parts you have done. Thanks for the update!

cheers

Respond to this message   

(Login recceboy)

Job well done.

May 9 2012, 12:47 AM 

Wow, you have done alot of work with this build. The turret & hull work is looking good.

Anthony

Respond to this message   
Ying
(Login ylouie1)

This project has been a lot of fun

May 9 2012, 4:07 AM 

Thanks Anthony
This project has become a rather fun build. My desire to detail this project is what I never thought was enjoyable. It has become a great time and rather fun build. I'm almost at the point where I glue the hull together. A few more details and I'm off to paint. I know I wouldn't have gotten this far without Jason's help. Many thanks to ALL OF YOU and I am greatful your enjoying my build.
Happy modeling
Regards Ying

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - My Grizzly Build update Thanks Jason!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index