<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Dragon M4A3E8 Thunderbolt can it be Canadianized?

January 17 2017 at 5:02 PM
Gordon Parker  (Login MeanOldMan)
from IP address 70.69.145.66

This kit fell into my lap and I must say I am very impressed. What do I have to do to build a Korean war Canadian Sherman? I believe ours were M4A2E8's were they not?

Thanks

Gordon Parker

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jason Bobrowich
(Login jasonbobro)

Korean War Canadian M4A3E8

January 17 2017, 5:29 PM 

Hi Gordon,

The Canadian Shermans were M3A3E8s in Korea. The post war Shermans used only in Canada were M4A2E8s.

Looking at the Thunderbolt Sherman kit you would have to change the tracks for sure. There are likely a few other external changes that might need to be made. The side hull mount first aid box comes to mind.

Keep in mind that the Canadian Shermans while used in Korea went through modifications externally with all four Squadrons that used them. Stowage racks, add-on armour, machine gun placement, and markings were adapted and changed over the war.

I would suggest purchasing the Service Publications "Canadian Vehicles in Korea" book if you are wanting to build an accurate Canadian M4A3E8. It is the best reference for Canadian Korean War Shermans.

With the book you can see all the modifications and pick a tank that you want to model.

Respond to this message   
Gordon Parker
(Login MeanOldMan)

Thanks

January 17 2017, 5:41 PM 

Thanks Jason,
Good to know.
I was thinking of picking up the book anyway so now I have an excuse for the wife.
A shame to have to give up the kit tracks as they seem very nice and very simple to build. And now that I look more closely the kit tracks are nothing like the pictures I have seen.
I am pretty sure I can make the external mods as needed and will base my model on a real vehicle, maybe "Cheetah".

Do you know of a source for the tracks?

Gord

Respond to this message   
Jason Bobrowich
(Login jasonbobro)

Tracks

January 18 2017, 12:20 AM 

AFV Club makes two sets of indy link tracks that would work...metal and rubber styles.

Respond to this message   
Gordon Parker
(Login MeanOldMan)

Thanks

January 18 2017, 1:34 PM 

Thanks Jason,
and those would be the HVSS T80 I presume

Respond to this message   
Jason Bobrowich
(Login jasonbobro)

Track Types

January 19 2017, 12:55 AM 

My pleasure Gordon!

Nothing is ever simple...some of the tanks obtained from the U.S. stock actually had T66 tracks for a small amount of time and they were changed out for the T80 metal chevron tracks.

The T80 tracks were used the majority of the time. Late in the war some of the RCD manned Shermans had the rubber chevron T84 tracks fitted.

All the modifications are dependant on the timeline of the tanks in Korea.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement