logo by smgunner

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

357-6 barrels

December 23 2003 at 4:12 PM
ross  (Login Sabotage68)
from IP address 65.243.16.166

Anyone have a 4" (black) barrel they want to trade for a 6"?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
ross
(Login Sabotage68)

visions of sugar plums

December 23 2003, 4:20 PM 

And while I am supposed to be workin...I find myself contemplating rebuilding one of those busted 357s. Blown seals seem to be the main problem. Some (I have 3) blow the gas out as soon as you put the cartridge in. Other just leak or do other fun things. Is this a specifically manufatured part? Maybe just an o-ring that I could find or make? My 8" which kinda works, is fake stainless so I dont put a 6" barrel on it and look silly. Be nice to get one of the 3 6's running again. Nice companion to the Benjamin

Respond to this message   
DZR
(Login DZrat)
Crosman Forum Member

Ridiculous 357 Project = 350-Seventeen!

December 23 2003, 6:35 PM 

....Your 357 thoughts reminded me that I have what may be the most ridiculous 357 barrel project ever, currently in progress. I found myself with four spare six-inch 357 barrel housings and a 17-inch barrel from a 760 lying around. With a bit of splicing and cosmetic work (not completely finished yet) - Presto! A 17-inch barreled 357! The final filling, sanding & painting is not perfect yet - but I did test it and it shoots. I paid close attention to the cylinder-to-barrel fit as I was warned about a possible loss of velocity. So - now with one screw I can swap from 6- to 17-inch barrels on my 357. The 760 breech end is turned down (and knurled for extra grip) to exactly the same diameter as the stock 357 barrel - so the rear barrel hanger clip even fit perfectly! It looks so loooong that I am thinking the only way it will look balanced is with a shoulder stock (next project) of some sort. I may even put a matching "forearm" on the long barrel to create a 10-shot repeating carbine! I won't know how much fps was lost or gained until I Chrony the thing - but I'm guessing it will be pretty accurate at the least. I have a digital photograph of it I can e-mail to someone here to post if you guys want to see the work-in-progress - but I don't know how to do that high-tech computer stuff by myself! -HV

Respond to this message   
130man
(Login 130man)

They do already make a shoulder stock for the S&W airguns maybe you could adapt it for

December 23 2003, 9:40 PM 

the crosman? its worth a shot
130man

Respond to this message   
ross
(Login Sabotage68)

760 barrel

December 23 2003, 10:43 PM 

A 760 barrel in a 357? Thats just wrong I would think velocity would fall off massively though. It would be fun to have a barrel to keep cutting down until max velocity is found and then put it on 357 frame. The 8" shoots pretty hard. Ineed a 760 barrel.....

Respond to this message   
DZR
(Login DZrat)
Crosman Forum Member

I admit - it is ridiculous but....

December 24 2003, 12:36 AM 

...I had to try it. I have a perfectly good 357 with the metal housed 8-inch barrel that I really like and I will not mess with - it shoots too good - but I also had an extra brand new stock 357-6 still in the plastic lying around with the above mentioned parts tempting me to put them all together -LOL. The 760 barrel is the usual Crosman 7/16's" diameter and it JUST fit inside the plastic housings after drilling out the rear end piece to slide the barrel through. I didn't have to re-crown the barrel nor modify the breech end at all as I simply cut the housings to fit the existing barrel length. Surprisingly enough - the inside of the breech end is shaped exactly like the stock 357 barrel breech end - the pellet should guide into it exactly like it does on the stock item. All that was really necessary -other than a lot of cosmetic work which isn't quite finished - was to make sure the distance from the barrel end to the revolving cylinder was as close as I could make it without binding. The whole deal was just too easy really - so I had to give it a try. It DOES look ridiculous - and may give creedence to those folks who say guns are really phallic symbols....and I'm not exactly sure what a super long barreled pistol means in relation to that hypothesis! LOL! After a bit more "carbine-ization" maybe it won't look so...well..Freudian?!?! It may have lost a few fps - I'm not sure - but inital tests showed it shoots fine and feeds the pellets just like it should. It didn't seem much different than a stock gun other than it is a lot more quiet with the long barrel. The Crosman/Umarex shoulder stock or something similar may actually make the whole deal seem a lot less ridiculous....I hope! Are there no helpful "photo posters" among you? Well, perhaps that's for the best - maybe this gun IS a borderline obscenity.....!

Respond to this message   

Biohazardman
(Login Biohazardman)
Airclass

Sounds like you are as sick as ...

December 24 2003, 5:47 AM 

the rest of the people on the forum. Sorry can't remember all our names but will add yours to it. Have fun and post pics and specs so we can all compare our sickness to yours. If we figure we are not as sick as you then we have an excuse to go out and buy another gun or two or... ;^)

I used to have have a life. But now I have the forum. I am a sick man?

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Biohazardman from IP address 71.236.167.69 on Jun 28, 2016 12:40 AM

Respond to this message   

fireball
(Login randyfb)
Crosman Forum Member

DZR's 350-17 (pic)

December 24 2003, 11:38 AM 

for your viewing enjoyment! merry chrismas everyone!

Respond to this message   
ross
(Login Sabotage68)

grips?

December 24 2003, 8:33 PM 

What kind of grips are those? All I've ever seen was the brown or black two piece ones.

Respond to this message   
DZR
(Login DZrat)
Crosman Forum Member

Those are the current generation 357 grips...

December 25 2003, 2:36 AM 

...All the new 357's I have seen for the last several years have these pop-on black plastic grips that don't have any screws on either side. They completely cover the CO2 tightening deal - and neither side grasps the CO2 cart - they just snap together. They are not particularly "quality" feeling although they do look pretty cool. My other "good" 357 has the same grips but I sprayed them with spray-on Truck Bed Coating (Dupli-Color) for a more grippy and flexible feel that seems less cheap somehow. The previous generation of Crosman 357 grips that you are describing are no longer available on new guns as far as I know unless your dealer has some old model guns still in stock.

Respond to this message   

Biohazardman
(Login Biohazardman)
Airclass

Nice job on the barrel looks about as stock...

December 25 2003, 5:18 AM 

as one could make it! Any reduction in velocity?

Respond to this message   
DZR
(Login DZrat)
Crosman Forum Member

Cosmetics....

December 25 2003, 1:39 PM 

Thanks - It's only 11AM Xmas morn here and I can't really start testing/blasting in the backyard yet...LOL - but the splicing of the 4 barrel housings has been an ongoing process - it hasn't been that easy to make it look like one piece. The slotted top rail pieces are absent in the photo because I haven't tackled that part yet....Just getting the main housings smooth was such a hassle that I think I'm going to ditch splicing the top pieces in favor of a one piece bar/rod to run along the top to give uniformity and strength. So far I've filled, sanded and painted the thing 4 times!-HV

Respond to this message   

Biohazardman
(Login Biohazardman)
Airclass

Something wrong with us here...

December 26 2003, 5:40 AM 

but it sure is fun. ;^) Keep up the good work.

Respond to this message   

Biohazardman
(Login Biohazardman)
Airclass

DZRs 350-seventeen pic

December 17 2015, 11:40 AM 

[linked image]
I used to have a life. But now I have the forum. I am a sick man?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Crosman Corporation 1-800-724-7486