<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Lynhurst Athletic Department issued subpoenaed!

November 17 2009 at 12:18 PM
No score for this post
  (Login FireServideo)

If you didn't read the article in this mornings paper Lyndhurst has received federal subpoenas to turn over all documents associated with the purchasing of football helmets from Circle Systems Group. The article in the Bergen County Record states that phony bids were presented to Lyndhurst by Circle to give them an unfair advantage in a competitive bid.

Frank "Butch" Servideo was questioned by the Record in the article and said "I guess it is [phony]" when referring to the bids. Now I am not the smartest man in America but isn't it the athletic director's job to go out and get these bids? Why doesn't Butchie know about these bids? Why is he stating that he has no explanation why a company that doesn't make football helmets is bidding for the contract?

I have had enough with the Lyndhurst High School athletic director and I think he owes the taxpayers of Lyndhurst and honest answer when it comes to this. When someone states that he doesn't have an explanation it makes one often wonder if there is more to the story. Maybe kick backs? Maybe free dinners? Who knows? The list can go on and on. The end result though should be he knows everything about it and to deny having any information on the subject proves his guilt. Anyone can say "I don't know" but when it is their job to know they should have the answers. He doesn't and for that he is guilty until proven innocent.

If I am alone then I will stay quiet but this is the taxpayers money and we should have answers. In the end I call for the terminatation of Frank "Butch" Servideo employment if he can't answer the hard questions!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
marist
(Login marist)

Re:athletic director

No score for this post
November 17 2009, 2:24 PM 

Your post is true, but I am sure he does not have the authority to purchase these things alone. There has to be a purchasing agent or someone he has to answer to.

(Login Marky71)

Re: Re:athletic director

No score for this post
November 18 2009, 5:07 PM 

Abate is the purchasing agent, but he is needed only up to a certain amount of money. Butch has his own budget.This was for the purchase of 8 helmets which Abate probally did not have to approve.All I have to say is Lyndhurst definatly has the best dressed coaches.

marist
(Login marist)

No score for this post
November 18 2009, 7:14 PM 

If this is true then why was he not served. And even if he has his own budget, someone has to be overseeing what he is doing and spending. Everyone has someone they have to answer too.

cumulonimbus
(Login micaschist)

incorrect assumption

No score for this post
November 19 2009, 3:51 PM 

It is interesting how people read in to news articles. There are dozens of high schools in Passaic and Bergen counties as stated in another article, all duped by this company. I'm sure that other schools in NJ are also deceived by this company too. So quick to jump on someone with no just cause for that action. Keep up the good work Butchie!!

marist
(Login marist)

No score for this post
November 19 2009, 9:16 PM 

Only one other town received a subpoena. I do not know what was misread. Who cares about other towns everyone is concerned with this one.

(Login FireServideo)

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

No score for this post
November 20 2009, 1:32 PM 

In all honesty would you be surprised if it surfaced that Servideo had received kick backs or lavish gifts from Circle Systems Group? I wouldnt. The President of Circle Systems Group, David Drill, already admitted he gave lavish gifts to A.D.s and coaches. After all why would you be suprised when 44 people last month were arrested on corruption charges. Frank Butch Servideo is no different than the normal everyday guy that was arrested last month. Everyone in life is looking for a free hand out and he probably saw this as nothing more than a nice gesture for doing business with that company.

Now if what I am reading in the papers is true about the double billing then he should be terminated immediately with no pension. Servideo has held the A.D. position for a number of years and you cant just say that the double billing that took place was an oversight. Every year the Board of Ed sets budgets for all the programs. If you think Joseph Abate has to approve everything that is purchased you are on cloud nine. The A.D has his own budget that he controls and as long as he says under it then everything is fine.

You must also remember that a lot of the sports programs have fund raisers. How many shirts or balls have you had to buy from an athlete standing in front of Shop-Rite? In all something is really wrong here if the Attorney General and the FBI are investigating. As I said in my first post if Servideo cant answer these questions then I have to question why he has this job to begin with. Anyone with a 5th grade education could set schedules, hire umpires, and walk about the fields as if they own it. Unfortunately it is also the A.D.s job to buy equipment and he should have all the answers.

In the end the apple doesnt fall far from the tree. Like father like son. Criminal!

Anonymous
(Login Marky71)

Re: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

No score for this post
November 20 2009, 2:46 PM 

You are right this all falls on the AD. I am sure the head football coach goes to the equipment manager and tells him what he needs. In turn the equipent manager go to the AD . Who decides what company they use is the head of the department" the AD". This is no different then buying books pens and paper. The head of the department decides what they use thier budget on. Do they have to use the lowest bid? Im not sure,I think if it is under a certain amount of money,they do not have to take the lowest bid. Is this wrong? Again I am not sure. Maybe it is worth it to go with a better product. double billing? from what I read it was caught and not payed. If this happened more then once the company should be banned from being used.

OLTL
(Login OLTL)

No score for this post
November 20 2009, 7:02 PM 

The Purchasing agent signs all of the purchase orders, and if you think there was only one person involved you are sadly mistaken. Everyone made out from this deal.

(Login FireServideo)

Bad job by the local papers!

No score for this post
November 23 2009, 11:41 AM 

I don't know how this story wasn't front page news. The Commercial Leader and South bergenite should be ashamed that they didn't put this story on the front page. If this story was big enough for the Bergen County Record to put on the frong page why aren't the free local papers that everyone reads putting it on there front page.

The Lyndhurst Board of Ed has been federally subpoenaed and that is back story news! This is the problem in our town. These papers know something happened here and don't want to make the story to big. This is a huge story people. This is our taxpayer money that is going directly to waste or someone's pocket illegally. On top of that our kids may have been in harms way by using defective gear.

I think someone has to answer these questions. The A.D. should be held accountable. If anyone out there can give me one reason why the A.D. wouldn't know about the phony bids or the double billing I would like to hear it. I just think this looks really bad and no one is talking about it.

marist
(Login marist)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
November 23 2009, 12:50 PM 

The only thing they ever write about is nothing of great importance. Everyone should be concerned about this issue. We only hear the good not the bad.

Anonymous
(Login lyndhurstlifer)

Re: Re:athletic director

No score for this post
November 28 2009, 9:07 AM 

Everyone made out on this. Please explain. If you can.

Current Topic - Lynhurst Athletic Department issued subpoenaed!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Click Here for Sales and Discounts from SHOPIRISH.COM! The Best Irish Gifts at Closeout Prices!

Lyndhurst Website on Twitter Lyndhurst Classifieds LHS Class Alumni Information and Privacy Policy
Lyndhurst NJ News New Jersey News