The New Forum for Classical Singers

Return to index  

The importance of the speaking voice

January 23 2008 at 3:12 PM

TS  (Login Toreadorssong)
NFCS Member

The past couple of days, I rediscovered the extreme importance of the speaking voice. As I go through my change from baritone to tenor, I have experienced many steps, but none more important and more immediately felt than the readjustment of the speaking voice.

Rather than rewrite the entire post, I deal with the issue on my blog (see link below). It is the latest post so it is right on top. I also include a clip of me reading in the two different voices. One can see right off why I was encouraged to sing as a baritone, and hopefully also why the lower speaking voice is forced.

It is funny. Turiddu found it hard to think of me as a tenor giving the speaking voice he was used to hearing from me. Looks like you were on to something there buddy.

TS

Be not the slave of your own past. Plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

TS's Blog: http://tsvocaltech.blogspot.com

This message has been edited by Toreadorssong on Jan 23, 2008 3:15 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

All posts are © their original authors.