The New Forum for Classical Singers

Return to index  

Interesting Video of "Piangero"

November 10 2009 at 5:50 PM
Coloratura Minx  (Login coloraturaminx)
NFCS Member

I just stumbled across this video on the Collaborative Piano blog and I have to say that I'm nonplussed. On the one hand, I think I've just gotten used to the sound of lyric sopranos singing this rep and the idiomatic changes that happen when those voices sing it. It's also obvious that the singer in this video has incredible intonation and an instrument of absolutely remarkable purity.

But... well, take a listen:

http://collaborativepiano.blogspot.com/2008/11/gabrielle-mclaughlin-and-i-furiosi.html

I love variation in all things, but this takes certain ideals of early music a little far for my taste. I understand minimal vibrato, but I find the complete LACK of vibrato and legato difficult to take--especially on long notes and the coloratura. I'm also plain confused by the stringent attention paid to the "early music sound" but the complete lack of ornamentation in the A' section which would have been idiomatic.

I'm NOT starting this thread as an invitation for flames. If you read the credits, the soprano is part of the ensemble and any vocalist with the stones to be in an instrumental ensemble and market herself as part of a team A) has my esteem and B) is making her decisions collaboratively and can't be held completely accountable for all artistic choices. That being said...

I'm confused. Anyone familiar with the ensemble or the singer and/or the theory behind this particular display of performance practice who can enlighten me?

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

All posts are © their original authors.