Check out the Narcolepsy Chats at:
TalkAboutSleep.com
Chats every Mon & Thurs
(check schedule for any changes)

re: Finally Diagnosis Confirmed

by (no login)

It's always nice to have that dx, at least it says it's not in our head, but in our brain.

I too, have apnea, both obstructive and central. I've been on cpap for one year next month. It's been trial and error. I go through Lincare for my supplies and have a great physical therapist. I also have a bipap machine that automatically adjusts the pressure, it has a heated humidifier and c-flex so I adjust my exhale. I have gone through many masks to find just the right one. My problem is I have a nasal mask, which is a Fisher and it works great as long as my allergies are not bad. When my nasal passages are plugged up and can't breath, I wake up abruptly, ripping off my mask because I can't breath. I've tried several full face masks and haven't found one yet that I'm comfortable with. It is a constant hassel. My sleep did improve somewhat since I've been on the cpap, but it really doesn't have a thing to do with N and the fragmented sleep that we have. The past two nights I haven't been able to sleep hooked up to the machine due to allergies so I do have a bit more EDS.

You all know by now that I'm retired and not on meds. I would love to be able to take something to stay awake and feel focused. I have trouble with provigil also, it gives me a chronic headache and anxiety. I've tried to stick it out for a couple of weeks, same with ritalin, but I still seem to be able to fall asleep if I sit in a passive position or lay down. I am just one of those people that are extra sensitive to medication and it doesn't matter what meds or for what problem.

I'm a bit of an OCD person too and this drives me crazy. I get so tired because I'm always busy doing something because if I stop and sit, then I'm asleep. This drives Bob nuts, as he is a sitter and I'm always up finding something to do. I think it really adds to our fatigue. I used to look forward to going to bed at night, but I almost exhaust myself sometimes because my sleep is so crappy I hate to think of waking up in the morning. It takes three hours usually for me to get my s#$* together.

Good luck Theresa, I hope all goes well and good luck finding a new doctor. That's going to be a real trial and error. Hopefully, Pat can give you some good leads.

Posted on Mar 13, 2009, 7:55 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Our Picture Album